Audio Technica ATH-FC7 (portable headphone)
Oct 6, 2004 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ben_sb_vex

New Head-Fier
Gday all,
Just wondering what you all think about the Audio Technica Portable headphone that is the ATH-FC 7 (seen here at http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...b52a6300d081f1)
It looks really good, both through it's tech specs and athsetics. If anyone has heard it personally or know about it's sound quality, please tell us about it.
And also, its a fairly good price!
icon10.gif

Oct 6, 2004 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 10
They are good phones the drivers sit very close your ears, they are bassy and very good for electronica rock etc.

I have had the pleasure of owning these phones for about 6 months and although they have been surpassed by ER6i's I am waiting for winter to use them in a dual capacity as phones and ear warmers.

The clamp well and the sound is quite clear, not as good as the ER6i but better than the EX71's.

The big thing here is the bass and the mids, very give you the energy wanted without muddling up the rest of the sound reporduction. I have not tried any other cans only the above canalphones

The folding desgin can be a bit annoying at time then wont fit and settle around your neck due to spring loaded arms, they instead have a cool folding design where you can fit them in or wedged half in and half out of your pocket

Hope this helps

Oct 6, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 10
Yeah they sound great! they certainly look a bit more sturdy and substantial than many other portable headphones (such as the Senn PX 200 etc.) and they're foldable arms are certainly a big plus.
I really would like to get my hands on these, as they seem (to me anyway) the best Portable solution without becoming too smally and flimsy for other uses such as sleeping in them and just wearing at home, and without shooting out of my budget as the HD 25-1's have done!
The thing i find, personally anyway, is that i much prefer wearing larger circum-aural headphones, even in portable situations, than having to compromise with smaller headphones that may be uncomfortable or brittle, just so they can be carried a bit easier.
Saying that though, these Audio-Technicas seem to fit the bill nicely. The only thing is it looks a bit difficult to acquire these within Australia (and i'm not keen to import, as i've heard many bad stories about customs surcharges and ugly taxes. Oh well, you live and you learn!
icon10.gif

Oct 7, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben_sb_vex
The only thing is it looks a bit difficult to acquire these within Australia (and i'm not keen to import, as i've heard many bad stories about customs surcharges and ugly taxes. Oh well, you live and you learn!
icon10.gif

Tried headphones.com.au? Tis where I got most of my headphone gear (cans+amps) free delivery around aus for most of the stuff listed and if you're in perth I think there's even a shopfront now so you can go audition some cans beforehand even.

Oct 7, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 10
Yeah, as a matter of fact (and its a bit of a coincidence really) a stumbled across it yesterday. I'll actually be getting a pair of Ultrasone: HFI-500DJ1 cans from there in a few days (they seemed to the type of headphones i was looking for.
Thanks for the recommendation though!
ADDITION: speaking of headphone.com.au, do you know anything about the new portable amp they are offering there, like is it good quality? (can be seen at http://www.headphones.com.au/prod_on...ductID=161#top)

Oct 7, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 10
Some head-fiers had ath-fc7 and the general consensus is good. Obviously audiocubes have very good service. From Japan to Austrailia the post should NOT take long. I always got my stuff in 5 days from Japan to NYC.

I used to have ath-fc5 and they're terrible. For $10 difference between fc5 and fc7 is vast from what I hear. Just don't get ath-fc5, very muddy, smudgy detail, shallow depth...Construction of these audio technica is grade A.

Oct 7, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

I really would like to get my hands on these, as they seem (to me anyway) the best Portable solution without becoming too smally and flimsy for other uses such as sleeping in them and just wearing at home, and without shooting out of my budget as the HD 25-1's have done!

I bought the HD25 to pull double duty as a closed can for when I need it at home, say when I'm ripping vinyl to the computer, or for portable use. Do you not find the HD25 adequate for portable use, given your preferences? I no longer commute on a daily basis, so I haven't had a chance to try my HD25s out on the road. I'm wondering what the drawbacks might be.

Oct 7, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 10
i actually much prefer these over the er6i, atleast after i mod it by taping some foams beneath the earpads. its no longer uncomfortable since the driver doesnt touch my ears anymore. the er6i is more portable and isolate more, but the treble is week, not sounding good for acoustic.

also after my mod and burn in, the fc7 bass become punchy, but they dont overtake other details. the er6i actually has more midbass, which i dont like, but its flappier aswell. also the low bass is more present and groovy on the fc7.

with a good source an amp this headphone can sound very smooth, good for the price. though some portables, the high treble is a bit sharp, which yield to some sibilance in low quality mp3s.

i dont have any problem with the folding. its a 1 step process, much easier to perform than the px200. and you can extend the headband to make it click so it can hang on your neck, since its somewhat big to put into your pocket.

i can see why supraaural headphones with pleather earpads are not comfortable for many people. for example, the px200, which i dont like the fit too much either. but my ears are flat and small, so the earpads of the fc7 (7cm wide) actually cover my entire ears.

oh crap, i'm having a test for my psychology class in 10minutes, gotta go.

Oct 10, 2004 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
oh crap, i'm having a test for my psychology class in 10minutes, gotta go.

HA! good luck mate!
Yeah, the audio technicas do sound pretty good, but i'm pretty well decided on the ultrasone's i've ordered (well, ALMOST ordered, i've still got to sort out a few things
tongue.gif
).
Like i said though, they do look pretty good, and i'll have to check them out later
Cheers Guys.
Ben Bazz

Oct 11, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

ADDITION: speaking of headphone.com.au, do you know anything about the new portable amp they are offering there, like is it good quality? (can be seen at http://www.headphones.com.au/prod_on...ductID=161#top)

ahh.. ye olde mint amp. They're pretty good for the price. Though you could make it yourself and save a bit. There's a couple of guys on the overclockers australia forums (they might be on here as well.. not sure) who make them. Wouldn't be surprised if it's one of them supplying headphones.com.au.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back