Audio Technica, ATH EW9's
Apr 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Andrew1526

New Head-Fier
I am a bit torn. I recently got a bit of spending cash, and am torn whter or not to buy Audio Technica ATH EW9 clip on wooden backed headphones, or to continue to save up and buy a pair of Sennheiser HD600's. I currently own Audio Technica ATH A700's, but they are too big for using in public. I am a student, and work in a theater. I wouldn't be doing any super strenuous activity, and earbuds aren't an option for me. What are your opinions.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 20
Depends on what kind of music you're into.
I had the EW9 and recently sold them. They look beautiful and the build quality is pure Japanese, but since they just sit on your ear there is no seal so they lack low extension.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 20
I'm into classic rock and indie rock mostly, but I also like newer age rock like Rooney, and State Radio. The low end can be fixed relatively easily with a headphone amp, like a Fiio E6. I'm looking for something easy to carry mostly.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 20
If you're anything like me the EW9 will more of a hindrance than a blessing for portable use. Unless you are willing to put them in and out of their carrying case you'll be worried about them getting banged up. The wood is pretty delicate so if you're thinking of just stuffing them into your pocket they'll look pretty piss poor in no time.
Don't get me wrong. They sound good and look amazing, but they are more of a conversation piece than a portable headphone.
I sold mine and bought a pair of Westone UM2 RC. More user friendly...

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 20
But do you think if I do take the time to put them in and out of the case they will remain in a good condition? How delicate is the wood, do you mean scratches, or like cracks.

Apr 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 20
Scratches.
I had mine for almost a year and they looked brand new when I sold them so yeah, If you keep them in their carrying case which is designed to separate them, they'll stay looking good. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 20
These two are very different... it's the first time I've seen them put in the same thread... the EW9 is probably one of the most praised AT headphone for its AT flavor... HD600 on the other hand... is much more neutral.. and has better technicality..

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 20
Yeah. I'm torn between the descision, though I'm leaning towards the Audio Technicas because they are what I actually need. I have a decent pair of full sized headphones. I can hold over with them until I get some more money for the Sennheisers. I really just need some headphones I can wear outside without worrying about them.

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Yeah. I'm torn between the descision, though I'm leaning towards the Audio Technicas because they are what I actually need. I have a decent pair of full sized headphones. I can hold over with them until I get some more money for the Sennheisers. I really just need some headphones I can wear outside without worrying about them.

EW9 doesn't have good isolation... so I wouldn't wear it in noisy places...  

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 20
the ambient noise for the environment mentioned other than testing can vary... lets just say that if your TV is on the normal volume and you put these on... you will be able to hear the TV clearly.. the isolation is probably just 3~4dB better than open headphones which is less than sufficient to block out passing by cars..

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 20
I prefer the JVC hp al1000 over the ew9.
Too bad they're discontinued. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
I prefer the JVC hp al1000 over the ew9.
Too bad they're discontinued. 

I never tried AL1000... but I'm pretty sure they are very different on SQ.. I can't think of anything that even come close to the coloration of EW9.... which earned its nickname in the Chinese hi-fi community.. the queen under the cherry wood..

Apr 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 20
The jvc once modded rivals full-size cans.
And the 1ks don't have the thickness of note the ew9s do to their detriment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back