Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 for work
Apr 10, 2008 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

waihau

Head-Fier
Hi,

I was looking for an open pair of headphones to work, but not extremely open like SR60. I dont want to bother my collegues but I need to hear if someone is asking to me, so closed or in ear headphones are not suitables.

Does the Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 fulfill these requirements? or are extremelly open like the SR60.

Thanks for all

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 10
I use the EW9s in my office. They're open enough to hear what's going on around you but they don't leak much sound at all, especially compared to the Grados. I use mine with a mini^3 and have no complaints beyond having to use a little EQ as they are bass shy. But with a little low-end bump or 120 ohm cable adapter they are quite enjoyable and fairly well balanced.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 10
Actually, this is exactly the kind of scenario where a "lightly closed" headphone like the ESW9 really shines. You won't bother other people, but it's quiet enough to really get the subtle inner detail these headphones provide without losing it all to a noisy environment.

[EDIT] Incidentally, just for perspective, these are (IMO) absolutely not bass-shy headphones. They have a heavy lower-mid signature that seems to provide satisfying weight and texture on a lot of instruments, but can make others seem artificial.

Apr 10, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 10
The ESW9 may not be bass-shy, but the EW9 (clip-ons) are.

The other plus of the clip-ons for work is no headphone hair.

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 10
I use them when working in the hospitals. I can listen to music and still be in communication with my environment. I just use the EQ for bass boost on the ipod and they don't sound bad. You won't get the bass you would with a normal hp but they are as good as single driver iems.

The only issue I have is the cable wanting to pull the left ear piece off. The weight of the cable & extension tugs. I have been using tape under the collar of the shirt to keep it in place. If you are stationary, you should'nt have this problem. If you get them, be aware the stem slides up and down in the clip pivot. This will help in the placement and comfort.

PS
You might want to consider an amp. Not to push one, but the extra crosstalk and bass boost along with fuller body allows for less volume. Cranking these up can be tough with the highs piercing your ears.

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 10
What happens if u push them towards your ears? do they sound better bass wise.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What happens if u push them towards your ears? do they sound better bass wise.

N'really. They do gain more solidity in the midrange, but bass is a lost cause.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #9 of 10
oh, i suppose i'll forget about them then :p

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 10
OP:

If you use headies stationary - get yourself Stax SRS-005a. They're better than Grados (and also very forward), don't leak, and you'll hear everything around you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back