Audio Technica ATH-ES7's League?
Nov 25, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Anyway, to answer your question, I would put the ES7 somewhat behind the HF-1 or E4c league. Even though it doesn't keep up, the ES7 certainly isn't embarassed by the comparison, and depending on the person/musical mood you're in, you may very well prefer it. It really is a different use/sound and if you want that use/sound, then it's a great buy. Compared with all my other cans, I think it's worth the money I paid for it. [EDIT: Woops, I forgot that actually my ES7 were a gift from an old friend! But if I had paid $130 ~ $150 for them, I'd definitely think it was money well spent
icon10.gif
]

Best regards,

-Jason

lol, Jason. I think the VTG was money well spent
wink.gif

Riku540, sorry I didn't notice your listening rig were portable. So I made a suggestion of not comparing them for full size closed headphones
tongue.gif
Mistake on my part.

Overlunge

Nov 25, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #17 of 20
Well, to be clear, I don't own the HF-1. Actually me experience with them is pretty limited - I listened to lan's a bit when he came over for one of our micro-meets. I did really like what I heard, though I suppose with more time I might be more critical of them.

The reason I don't think the ES7 is quite HF-1 or E4c level is kind of as follows:

1. Not the tighest bass. Overemphasized and somewhat boomy. Can be too much if you don't like big bass.

2. Exhibits classic audio-technica colouration - in a way better audio-technica cans actually move past. In other words, don't expect the most accurate portrayal of plucked strings or instrument timbre, but it's still a very pleasant and warm and rich sound.

3. Lack of air/space in the soundstage. These are headphones that have a soundstage like headphones. Actually HF-1 suffer from this as well. Strangely enough, the E4c does very well in this regard, in separating out and giving a good sense of space between instruments, especially with sources that give a good sense of space. Soundstage does go nicely maybe about an inch or so outside of the cups, so you don't feel super cramped in, but I wouldn't call it expansive or spacious at all.

Having said all that, the strengths of the ES7 are as follows:

1. Good vocals. Doesn't have the magic of the RS-1 or smoothness of the audio-technica woodies or HD650. But it starts to hit that level and gives a good hint of what smooth-fuzzy vocals should be.

2. Pretty good instrument definition/detail. In the grand scheme of things, I might put these as "below average" for speed/detail/definition/texture compared to the better audiophile cans, but they're definitely well above average when compared to even other good consumer level cans, such as the PX200, ES5 and compare well (and I prefer them) to the HD25-1.

3. Just an overall pleasant sound. In my mind, audio-technica has always been good at giving a rich, fairly warm and nice "musical" (as opposed to "clinical") listening experience. And the ES7 does give you that. Sonically, the ES7 is definitely on the "darker" side of things but has a pleasant treble (though the treble isn't nearly as crisp or clean as a good audiophile can) sparkle here and there.

I think really it's for this reason I like these cans and use them when on the go.

Anyway, I re-read your first post - if you are considering these as a gift or as an addition to your collection, I definitely think you won't be disappointed. The sound quality is good enough that it will compare nicely with what you've got - even if at the end of the day you may decide they're somewhat better or worse in comparison. They are a different listening experience, and I think are a nice introduction to audio-technica (though L3000 is certainly in a completely other league.
icon10.gif
) I do think these would make a great gift to any iPod owning friend/relative.

Best regards,

-Jason

Nov 25, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
lol, Jason. I think the VTG was money well spent
wink.gif

Riku540, sorry I didn't notice your listening rig were portable. So I made a suggestion of not comparing them for full size closed headphones
tongue.gif
Mistake on my part.

Overlunge

Lol, the W10VTG is definitely money well spent. I'll be the first to say they're flawed or coloured or just get things plain wrong, but dang if they don't still sound good. Totally random pick-up too!

Hey, let me know if you need extra head-pads. I bought three extra replacement pairs before I left Japan, but obviously, I only need one.
icon10.gif

Best,

-Jason

Nov 25, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #19 of 20
Thanks Jason. That’s exactly all the information I was looking for ^_^. I’m convinced that if anything they’ll be very stylish fun cans. I think I’m going to give them a try myself before I get them as a gift for my Fiancée. Thanks for all your help.

Nov 25, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Anyway, to answer your question, I would put the ES7 somewhat behind the HF-1 or E4c league. Even though it doesn't keep up, the ES7 certainly isn't embarassed by the comparison, and depending on the person/musical mood you're in, you may very well prefer it. It really is a different use/sound and if you want that use/sound, then it's a great buy. Compared with all my other cans, I think it's worth the money I paid for it. [EDIT: Woops, I forgot that actually my ES7 were a gift from an old friend! But if I had paid $130 ~ $150 for them, I'd definitely think it was money well spent
icon10.gif
]

Also we have to think it's considerably cheaper($150) than the HF1($200) and the E4($300). Those are full retail price, not discounted of course. When discounted, the ES7 would still reflects lower price.

Thanks for the info jason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back