Audio Technica ATH-ES7
Jan 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fghtffyrobesity

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking into getting some ES7s. They meet all my needs for portability. I looked at reviews on Amazon, but they all seemed to be one sided, so I thought I would get some comments here, If I could get some thoughts about the sound quality, comfort and overall product.

Thanks

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 11
I own the ESW10 which have the same form-factor, so I can comment on the physical size of the phones in relation to some of the others I've owned.

The ES series is compact; nearly full-size drivers in a very portable form factor. They are about 70% of the size of my HD650s and they don't stand out in public (which is important to me since I work out of multiple offices in diff. cities). They are much smaller than other AT phones (with the exception of the portapro-looking ones). In terms of weight, they are obviously bulkier than IEMs but the benefit is a nice increase in sonic impact (to my ears). I have the Shure SE530s as well and I really favor my ES cans when away from my main setup except if I am commuting (I am on planes 2x a week). The ES cans have more weight in the bass notes to my ears but keep a decent and clear midrange.

Regarding overall sound, my cans are a model or two upstream from yours so take this as a general comment to the family-sound and not specific to the ES7. Unamped, I prefer the ESW10s to my HD650s on a balanced amp for certain kinds of music, which is saying a lot. This is mainly for electronica, and pop music (which I don't own a lot of, but can appreciate); anything where I believe the faster tempo pushes the slightly smaller drivers of the ES much more efficiently, making the sound more lively. For classical, jazz, progressive rock, or recordings of live performances I appreciate the nuance and soundstaging of the balancing HD650s (of course...)

I didn't expect my ES to really replace my home rig and I was willing to give up a lot to keep things portable, but I am fully satisfied - the ES fulfills one 'area' of listening (music on the go) so solidly due to the size and sound -- giving up very little to more complex (eg. separate portable amp) setups. I enjoy the huge degree of convenience due to the sonic quality unamped (I tested pico vs. straight out of the output on my ipod, macbook pro) and the pico makes more of a difference pushing my Shures than the ESW10s.

Note there is an ES7 in the for-sale forum currently as well.

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 11
I enjoy the sound quality of my ES7s (Can't say I've heard that many 'phones, but I really like the way these sound). They're clear with what I think is a nice full sound and a smooth low end.

Comfort requires the headband adjustment for most people. It helps a lot. Build quality is pretty good IMO and they look great.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 11
Sound: Good, very lively sound presentation - Fun to listen to. Fine to listen to out of almost any source, as they're driven quite easily. Strong bass, engaging (some even say sparkly) highs - I like their sound signature a lot.

Comfort: Noticeable clamping force out of the box, headband mod may or not be required. Pads get warm on your ear after a while, especially in warm areas. Comfort in general isn't the greatest, but I got used to it pretty quick - I can wear mine for hours no problem.

Isolation is below average - Strangely enough, they seem to amplify certain outside noises and block out others. I personally would like as much isolation as possible with closed cans, so this is a con for me, especially with the ES7 being a portable. Sound leakage is about average. Not exactly library/study hall spec, but you won't disturb anyone on a train/bus too much with them, even with the volume up.

Overall: A great portable phone - Recommended. They sound good, they look good (black shiny cups might be a bit too bling for some, but look very slick in my opinion). I like 'em so much, I'm considering the ESW10. Just watch out for all the fakes floating around...

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lon420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound: Good, very lively sound presentation - Fun to listen to. Fine to listen to out of almost any source, as they're driven quite easily. Strong bass, engaging (some even say sparkly) highs - I like their sound signature a lot.

Comfort: Noticeable clamping force out of the box, headband mod may or not be required. Pads get warm on your ear after a while, especially in warm areas. Comfort in general isn't the greatest, but I got used to it pretty quick - I can wear mine for hours no problem.

Isolation is below average - Strangely enough, they seem to amplify certain outside noises and block out others. I personally would like as much isolation as possible with closed cans, so this is a con for me, especially with the ES7 being a portable. Sound leakage is about average. Not exactly library/study hall spec, but you won't disturb anyone on a train/bus too much with them, even with the volume up.

Overall: A great portable phone - Recommended. They sound good, they look good (black shiny cups might be a bit too bling for some, but look very slick in my opinion). I like 'em so much, I'm considering the ESW10. Just watch out for all the fakes floating around...

Thanks for this. It is really helpful. I think I will stop by Guitar Center and see if they have some of these in stock and ask if they will let me try them out.

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 11
personally, i liked hte es7's sound quality, great bass, but i hated the comfort and build i suppose. on the build, i liked how it was very nice and sturdy, but, i hated the mirror finish on the ear cups. they are easily scratched and if u put ur finger on it, ur finger print will show up on it, so basically u either have to keep wiping it down, or only hold the sides of ear cups. comfort, i did the headband mod, and i still thought they were too tight, my ears would hurt after only about 40 min, i could not wear them for over an hour for sure. my ears would get really warm and sometimes a little bit of sweat. thats just my personal experience. not saying its true for everyone. but, i did like the sound quality tho. i woulda kept them if they were more comfy and no mirror finish.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks to mentioning about the comfort. I have a fairly large head, so I will have to check them out. As for the mirror finish, I'm not too cocerned about scratches and fingerprints. My dad does body work on cars and has all kinds of cool things to keep things front getting scratched, so I should be able to figure something out

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 11
to prevent scratches i bought some the DIY BSE skins and cut out some 2.5 inch diameter circles and put them on my ES7s. They look just as nice except the mirror finish is more darker looking compared to my other pair of ES7s that are broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back