Audio-Technica ATH-ES7
Oct 9, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 28
yes the mids do sound like they are played through cups, but the coloration isn't that strong to my ears.

The thing I love most about the ES7s is that they can be played very loud, and they will still not sound harsh or offensive.

They just get more detailed.

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are these headphones any good? Xmas is coming near, and I would like some closed cans around a 100 bux to replace my KSC-75's

Take this with whatever grain of salt yo believe the advice of a Grado lover deserves, but...

I have these as my bedtime phone, so as not to disturb my wife.

First, they will never compare with good open phones, even Grado Sr60's, not even close.

..and I do not use closed phones, so I have only the AKG K240's (which SUCKED, IMO) to compare them to.

Plus- these are the only ohones I've used that seemed to benefit from break-in. What was a truly confusing presentation- mushy mids mixed with raspy highs, - DID improve.

Still, when I put these on after spending time with RS1's (sold), GS1000's (returned) and 325i's (my favorite Grado), there is just no comparison. They sound compressed, muddy and just confused, still. No air at all.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #18 of 28
As far as comparing these cans to Grados, if you search the forum, you will find some threads comparing these cans to Grados and Allesandros. In some cases the ES7's win and in some they don't. Grado is either a sound you love or hate. AT is more of an all purpose sound (for lack of a better term) that does all genres of music pretty damn good. These are not the "best cans in the world" but because each persons opinion of what is good varies, we will never know which cans are. By the way, my ES7's have never sounded muddy, and they definitley improve with burn-in. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #19 of 28
This is probably a stupid question, but are the ES7 headphones any good for using on your desktop computer playing games? Or are they too small and uncomfortable for that?

They definitely are the nicest looking I have seen.

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tc17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is probably a stupid question, but are the ES7 headphones any good for using on your desktop computer playing games? Or are they too small and uncomfortable for that?

They definitely are the nicest looking I have seen.

I am probably one of the few that actually use these for desktop gaming. The thing you first need to know first is the cord on these is too short to reach the back of your computer (unless you play on a laptop), so you would need to use a headphone extension cord or a headphone amp with a long cord.

Comfort wise, I find them decently comfortable for extended use after the headband mod (you just straighten out the metal arms on the sides)

sound wise, I think they give a pretty good soundstage for a closed headphone. For music, these cans are just a delight to listen to. They are somewhat bright and bassy at the sametime with good clarity imo.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #21 of 28
You are right about the cord being short. Makes them perfect for portable, but could be problem for home use unless extension is used. I only use mine with amped Ipod at work so not a problem. Headband mod definitely helped comfort and is so simple to do. But the looks and the sound are just so sweet.

Oct 15, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am probably one of the few that actually use these for desktop gaming. The thing you first need to know first is the cord on these is too short to reach the back of your computer (unless you play on a laptop), so you would need to use a headphone extension cord or a headphone amp with a long cord.

Comfort wise, I find them decently comfortable for extended use after the headband mod (you just straighten out the metal arms on the sides)

sound wise, I think they give a pretty good soundstage for a closed headphone. For music, these cans are just a delight to listen to. They are somewhat bright and bassy at the sametime with good clarity imo.

Thank you for the reply. Do you know if the 3d sound on these are ok? For surround sound effects in games? I mainly would use it mostly for games like Lord Of The Rings Online, and listening to some music.

I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I originally was going to get the closed Technica A700 headphones, but the stupid ebay seller sent me the open AD700 version instead. So I mailed that back to him for a refund. The a700 is huge compared to this headphone.

My previous headset is a Icemat Siberia which broke recently.

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tc17 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the reply. Do you know if the 3d sound on these are ok? For surround sound effects in games? I mainly would use it mostly for games like Lord Of The Rings Online, and listening to some music.

I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I originally was going to get the closed Technica A700 headphones, but the stupid ebay seller sent me the open AD700 version instead. So I mailed that back to him for a refund. The a700 is huge compared to this headphone.

My previous headset is a Icemat Siberia which broke recently.

Yeah, I use these for competitive play on counterstrike 1.6. The sound positioning is great. My es7, hd555 and even my sf5p (iems) put my former audio 90, pc150, and icemats to shame sound positioning wise. My favorite thing about the es7 is listening to music. Everything sounds so sweet and upfront with them. It's like a night and day difference from my hd555. I love all 3 of my headphones that I use for gaming/music however. You definitely won't be disappointed if you pick up a pair of es7.

Oct 15, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man the guy actually did you a favor sending you the AD's By mistake. IMHO they are much better sounding cans.

Not really. I ordered the closed cans and thats what I should have received. I don't want open. Plus he sells the open version for a dollar less, so he is even ripping me off that way. I could have also bought the open version from Amazon for $25 less than what he charged me.

Also, he shipped this almost 5inch Technica box jammed inside of a 3" width shipping box. The headphone speakers alone are almost 5inches in width.

Plus he now is conveniently gone for the week soon as he is to receive my return. And ignores all my emails ever since he gave me an RMA number.

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #26 of 28
Hope I didn't sound rude in my response Ronnielee54. I was just still upset with my ebay purchase problems. The open cans are supposed to sound better, but I kinda prefer closed due to all the leaking of the sound out the sides.

Thank you for you reply also Jaykay, I appreciate it.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #27 of 28
If you are sensitive to midrange coloration you may not like the ES7s. I'm keeping mine because of the short cord and the way they look. They sound "snarly" and "cuppy" in the midrange to me, but the bass and highs are very nice, and they are sooo beautiful (after they've been cleaned of fingerprints, of course). I think they'll mate nicely with my new black Zune, and I'm planning on trying a little EQ to tame those mids. I wish headroom hat an FR plot so I could find that peak. BTW, mine have hundreds of hours of burn in now, and they sound the same as when I took them out of the box.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #28 of 28
I was able to notice a difference in mine after about 40 hours. I used the same song as a reference point for testing (Feels Like Rain - Buddy Guy). As the time went by, the bass tightened up and the highs became a little more toned down and alot clearer sounding. Sorry for my poor way of describing sound but I don't consider myself an audiphile. I just like good sounds and the ES7's have definitely got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back