Audio-Technica ATH-ES7
Oct 6, 2007 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Chickenman

500+ Head-Fier
Are these headphones any good? Xmas is coming near, and I would like some closed cans around a 100 bux to replace my KSC-75's

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 28
Matter of fact i'm asking myself the same question!

I Really want a good can for 100$ which is closed and has good highs/tight bass's..

How does the ES7 stacks against... say.... the Equation RP-21 or Senn's HD-25-1-II [which are currently almost at the same price-line].

BTW Op, It would help if you try to tell us what music you hear and what you like/dislike in headphones..

-Jo

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 28
simple answer:

yes.

and

I'm sleepy.

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 28
These cans are very good for the money. Upgraded to these from PX100's for my portable rig. Have never regretted it. Keep it in mind when auditioning these cans that the benefit greatly from burning in. At first they were pretty good but after a few weeks, WOW. You will also read in the forum that a few people complain that they are not the most comfortable cans. At first it took a little getting used to because their fit was a lot different from my PX100's, but after a short time I don't even notice them anymore, and I wear mine an average of about 6 hours a day at work. They are great for portable (fold flat, about 4' of cord, fairly compact cups). Hard to beat their sexy looks (mine still don't have any scratches). Sound terrific unamped and even better amped. Check them out. You won't be sorry.
Oops almost forgot. I listen to alot of blues (anything from Kenny Wayne Sheppard to B.B. King) classic rock (Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Stones, Beatles, ect...), podcasts, some country if its Hank Williams Jr. No metal or rap.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 28
ES7 are supra aural. RP-21 are circum.

You can find these details out easily by a simple google search...

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 28
I'm also thinking about the A700 from Audio Technica because they seem to be circumaural and its only aobut a 20 dollar difference.

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 28
I love my ES7's and when my wife heard them she wanted a pair also. We now have two pair in the house and I am thinking about buying a pair for my oldest duaghter for Christmas. I haven't heard other sets in the same price range, but I am VERY happy with the ES7's. Just know that burn-in improves the sound so don't make judgments on initial sound.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 28
Hm.. These were my first proper headphones. How I wish I could get that feeling of hearing them for the first time again.. Quite a nice pair of headphones. They're well build though the cord might be a little flimsy.

Also, if you get white ones, the headband may turn grey and the cord goes kinda yuck though that might be just me tossing them into my school bag.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 28
Anyone here care to comment on the mids? some people on this forum say that the mids are weird and colored. What do you guys think?

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 28
I love the way the mids sound. I think sometimes we all get a little to damn analytical in this hobby. Wouldn't it be great if it was all cut and dried. Headphone "A" sounds better than "B" because this set of numbers says so. Instead we have warm which sounds muddy to some, bright which sounds shrill to some, and so on. Some love Senns, some hate them. Same story with AKG's, Grados and so on. It really gets hard to make a decision when your in my situation and have to rely on opinions and take a chance because there are no oppritunuities to audition cans in my area of the country. But so far I have been lucky thanks to some good head-fiers and have made good decisions. Especially with the ES7's. IMO the are fantastic for the price.

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 28
I reckon they sound similar to the PX100's but a little more refined(?).

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here care to comment on the mids? some people on this forum say that the mids are weird and colored. What do you guys think?

Never heard any AT that wasn't somewhat "strange" in the mids section, be it recessed or, as other extreme, coloured & exaggerated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back