audio-technica ATH-EM9
Jan 29, 2004 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

PeterR

European Group Buy Coordinator
I'm looking to get something more portable and these seem really interesting. Has anybody here ever tried them? How's the sound? Also there are two models, the 9D and the 9R, what's the difference?

Jan 30, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 17
9R = round. 9d = slotted...like disc brakes from cars.
biggrin.gif
They are the same. Pick the one that looks coolest.

Jan 30, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 17
There is another version of 9: with wooden cups. I have seen it in the store here in Japan, and it costs around $30 more than magnesium 9's. I think the prices are around $160 for standard one and $190 for wooden. If you are interested, I can buy you a new one. But I am not planning to buy them for myself. For that money I would rather go with full-size can.

Jan 30, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Leeco
There is another version of 9: with wooden cups. I have seen it in the store here in Japan, and it costs around $30 more than magnesium 9's. I think the prices are around $160 for standard one and $190 for wooden. If you are interested, I can buy you a new one. But I am not planning to buy them for myself. For that money I would rather go with full-size can.

The wooden ones are called EW9 and can be had for 151 from Audiotechnica direct. I forgot the link, but there was a forum post here about ordering direct from Audiotechnica.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://online.audio-technica.com.sg/online/

Jan 30, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 17
sorry i cant give you any info on the em9, but i did had the em7. they are very small, about inches wide in diameter, dont be fooled by audiocubes pics. the earpads is sewn/glued into the headphone, you cant remove it, but they are comfortable. the earclip is uncomfortable to me because when i put it on, the rubber thing slide to the side and only the metal clip rest on my ears. other people might have better luck.
they are very open, leaks about 75% of what grado does. very bright, very detailed, very little bass. someone else who had the ew9 said it have plenty of bass though.
oh and the em7 come with a little zipper pouch.

Jan 30, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Leeco
Thanks for the info, harkamus!
biggrin.gif

They really sell them for much less than in retail shops in Japan and on AudioCubes.

NP, dude.

As for the EW 9, they supposidly sound like their bigger brethren. the w2002. ...with less bass of course. That is not to say that the bass sucks. On the contrary, the review on this board said that the bass was quite punchy.

Jan 30, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 17
Thanks, guys! So the difference is just cosmetic? There's a different sensitivity in the specs, so I thought there may have been more to it.

I'm aware of the size, and that's the point. Still not ready for this
wink.gif

Based on what people said about the EM7s, I think I wouldn't care for them too much, I hope the EM9s are more like a metal (more durable?) version of the EW9s...
The prices on that Audiotechnica site look good, has anybody ever ordered from there? It's a Singapore URL, they have only very few phones listed and none of them in stock...

Jan 30, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 17
i can say that they didn't reply to either of two e-mails i sent...

also, audiocubes wasn't eager to match their price
rolleyes.gif

Jan 30, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 17
someone bite it and get the EM9s... I need to know about a EM7 upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2004 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by bpm2000
someone bite it and get the EM9s... I need to know about a EM7 upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Guess what showed up at my doorstep today (and wow, Audiocubes is quick...)?
I went for the EM9r (hard decision, but in the end I felt the discbrakes are just a little over the top). You've got to give it to the Japanese, they really know how to make stylish headphones. Really beautiful to look at, impeccable workmanship - they may be small, but feel very precioussss
wink.gif

The neoprene pouch is also a nice touch. All in all once you've seen them in person the price tag doesn't feel that absurd for a pair of clip-ons anymore.
They're very light and very, very comfortable to wear - you quickly forget you have them on your ears at all.
First impression of the sound is they're very clear and detailed, if a little bass-shy. But that's fresh out of the box, and I'll refrain from further comments until they've clocked a few hours of playtime...

Feb 29, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #15 of 17
I'm waiting for the leather-covered clipons--they should be along in the next few months, no?
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back