Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Nov 12, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #693 of 1,068
How E70 compare to M50X?

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #695 of 1,068
  You can't compare the two. One performs miles ahead of the other, and it's definitely not the M50x.

I agree.  I just purchased a pair of $1500 iem but like the e70 better.  

However, I would say you might like the Um pro 50 better maybe.  I really haven't a/b them yet.  But they are the only IEM I've had that made me put the e70 down.  However i did find myself missing the bass on the e70.

But trust me, the e70 is an extreemly good value for the price and period.  Imho you're not really going to find anything better by leaps and bounds.  Once you get to this level it's more of personal preference vs quality.  Trust me I've spent thousands on iems.

But, they are probably the worse fitting iems; which says alot because they can sound good without giving you the best seal.

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #696 of 1,068
I growth even more love for e70, is like a beautiful woman without make-up,

Can't wait to compare to the new LS series.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #698 of 1,068
Just received the E40 a few hours ago. Have been listening non-stop since.

The fit is absolutely terrific for my biggish ears (at least the concha and ear canal). The part that actually sits in the concha is quite small and feels as if I'm not wearing much at all. These IEMs are very light and they stay put very well with the memory wire. They don't stick out as much as I thought they would.

I felt like up(side)grading from the Vsonic VSD5 (which are great) as I felt the treble on them was a bit artificial and splashy sounding.

Initial impressions of DX90 ->E40 : they have a realistic and satisfying treble that is well defined. I feel the upper-mids are quite a bit accentuated here and this will have to take some getting used to - felt shouty at first and I had to lower my volume a few notches from normal listening levels. The bass is quite neutral sounding, besides a bit of a boost in the sub-bass region. 

I am quite amazed at the size of the soundstage on these. Really big! seperation from side to side and back to front is excellent. Very immersive.

They pretty much sound great with everything although I would understand if some people find them lacking some oomph for rock/metal/pop.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #699 of 1,068
  Just received the E40 a few hours ago. Have been listening non-stop since.

The fit is absolutely terrific for my biggish ears (at least the concha and ear canal). The part that actually sits in the concha is quite small and feels as if I'm not wearing much at all. These IEMs are very light and they stay put very well with the memory wire. They don't stick out as much as I thought they would.

I felt like up(side)grading from the Vsonic VSD5 (which are great) as I felt the treble on them was a bit artificial and splashy sounding.

Initial impressions of DX90 ->E40 : they have a realistic and satisfying treble that is well defined. I feel the upper-mids are quite a bit accentuated here and this will have to take some getting used to - felt shouty at first and I had to lower my volume a few notches from normal listening levels. The bass is quite neutral sounding, besides a bit of a boost in the sub-bass region. 

I am quite amazed at the size of the soundstage on these. Really big! seperation from side to side and back to front is excellent. Very immersive.

They pretty much sound great with everything although I would understand if some people find them lacking some oomph for rock/metal/pop.

If you like them you would kill for the e70!

Nov 27, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #702 of 1,068
Update on the E40.

Apparently I wasn't getting a proper seal. after going down from the largest sized tips back to the ones that arrive attached to the IEM - of course the bass is no longer as anemic as I thought at first and more importantly the harsh upper mid freq is much more balanced in the mix. They have a Balanced and immersive sound that I find very appealing.

I had some trouble with the fit becoming lose when walking outside, but after fiddling with the memory wire, I figured with some more pressure you can really wrap it around the ear so it doesn't budge at all!

So happy with this purchase.

Dec 15, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #703 of 1,068
ATH-E70: some early impressions + sound signatures opinion.

Just got the E70 for the best deal it would ever be, brand new, sealed and made in Japan. Somehow these fit perfectly to my ears (guess they specifically design for Asian people with smaller ears), completely sealed and isolated (with better comfort than the Shure).

Early impressions regarding sound quality are very, very good. First I tried the stock silicon tips, which are fairly good, balanced with tight bass, slightly warm and very smooth mids and very sharp trebles, sibilant to some extent with a plenty of spikes. Then I switched to the Comply foam tips (included in the box, T-500), the spikes seemed to remarkably decrease but still they are there, I guess this is due to the sound absorbance of the Comply.

Compare to my Sony XBA Z5s, the E70s somewhat have fewer details and punches in sub bass (reasonable as the Z5 is hybrid with a dynamic driver dedicated for the low ends) but surpisingly more revealing in mids and top ends (at a noticeable level). Isolation, obviously with the perfect fit, E70s knock the crap out of the Z5s, night and day.

Although sounding very detailed and balanced, to my ears their sound signature leans towards the warm side with a bit of coloring, not neutral or dry at all, which I believe are necessary characteristics of pro monitors. The Z5 to me a more neutral (most will say they are dark due to the bass heaviness). The flattest and most neutral sound I have listened to are from KEF headphones, speakers (M500 on ear headphones, LS50 speakers, X300A speakers)

Very subjective thread so I hope you guys can share your own opinions on this. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #704 of 1,068
  Am I the only person who thinks the e70 is better than the se846 in every way?

I did audition several times and you are not alone. The se846 intially sounded very good and wowed me at some points, but after 15 mins listening I just wanted to throw up, too forward mids, overly sharp or maybe harsh trebles. 
  I agree.  I just purchased a pair of $1500 iem but like the e70 better.  

However, I would say you might like the Um pro 50 better maybe.  I really haven't a/b them yet.  But they are the only IEM I've had that made me put the e70 down.  However i did find myself missing the bass on the e70.

But trust me, the e70 is an extreemly good value for the price and period.  Imho you're not really going to find anything better by leaps and bounds.  Once you get to this level it's more of personal preference vs quality.  Trust me I've spent thousands on iems.

But, they are probably the worse fitting iems; which says alot because they can sound good without giving you the best seal.

Because of your post I had been searching for good offer of UM Pro 50 before ending up got the E70 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back