Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Aug 4, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #529 of 1,068
Just bought the e40. they are amazing.  My Shure se215 broke the night before and I ordered these from amazon and they are to my ears much much better than the se215.  

Does anyone know what comply tips fit these?
dude, get JVC's Spiral Dot ear tips. They are the gold standard. Other ear tips only present 20% of the sound picture. Trust me

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #530 of 1,068
dude, get JVC's Spiral Dot ear tips. They are the gold standard. Other ear tips only present 20% of the sound picture. Trust me

+1 the spiral dots are my favourite tip

Anyways, welcome to head fi
beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #533 of 1,068
I like the JVC non spirals better on the E40. I use the ones from my Elation FR100X. For me, they give a more crisp treble but are also short and wide bore and similar shape.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #534 of 1,068
Just sold my e40. Its a good iem but it is not realistic in the presentation.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #536 of 1,068
I like the JVC non spirals better on the E40. I use the ones from my Elation FR100X. For me, they give a more crisp treble but are also short and wide bore and similar shape.
Spiral Dot has a technology that allows sound to be set free. They aren't your run of the mill ear tip like SpinFit or Comply.

Aug 4, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #537 of 1,068
Just sold my e40. Its a good iem but it is not realistic in the presentation.
How did you come to the realisation that the presentation isn't realistic? I find that the tonal quality is bright but it is accurate enough. Besides for a low, low price, the E40 has an impressive spatial presentation, miraculous at its price-point

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #538 of 1,068
  Which JVC non spirals are you using precisely?  Thanks

Like I said the FR100Xtips in black. Think they are the EP-FX2

Spiral Dot has a technology that allows sound to be set free. They aren't your run of the mill ear tip like SpinFit or Comply.

The other JVC tips are the same size and shape but a glossy silicone that reflects more treble and are a bit more firm. No matte finish or dots that are used to smooth the peaks JVC has when they try to extend treble in their more expensive earphones. Sound is not any less free to me. The E40 has no real peaks to smooth and I like the more apparent treble.

I may be jaded cause I've been here since before my 2005 join date and have had JVC in-ears since there first one but the SD are fine but not in my top 5.

I also agree that the E40 are monitor tuned and sealed up a bit much. Not the most transparent and thus realistic. Could do 3D better from front to back but again they are laying out like a monitor putting things on the same plane and not layering to be real but to discern things from each other and realistic would place things in each others way. CKR9 are more real, IMO, though a bit V and the fit wasn't that great due to the angle of the bore. They vent in back of the driver allows for better balancing of the pressure build up and just better rendition of bass notes. E40 bass is real nice and still the dual-phase driver bass but not the best version of it.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #539 of 1,068
Like I said the FR100Xtips in black. Think they are the EP-FX2

The other JVC tips are the same size and shape but a glossy silicone that reflects more treble and are a bit more firm. No matte finish or dots that are used to smooth the peaks JVC has when they try to extend treble in their more expensive earphones. Sound is not any less free to me. The E40 has no real peaks to smooth and I like the more apparent treble.

I may be jaded cause I've been here since before my 2005 join date and have had JVC in-ears since there first one but the SD are fine but not in my top 5.

I also agree that the E40 are monitor tuned and sealed up a bit much. Not the most transparent and thus realistic. Could do 3D better from front to back but again they are laying out like a monitor putting things on the same plane and not layering to be real but to discern things from each other and realistic would place things in each others way. CKR9 are more real, IMO, though a bit V and the fit wasn't that great due to the angle of the bore. They vent in back of the driver allows for better balancing of the pressure build up and just better rendition of bass notes. E40 bass is real nice and still the dual-phase driver bass but not the best version of it.
to each their own.

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #540 of 1,068
How did you come to the realisation that the presentation isn't realistic? I find that the tonal quality is bright but it is accurate enough. Besides for a low, low price, the E40 has an impressive spatial presentation, miraculous at its price-point

after abing with my other iems
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back