Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Jun 14, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #466 of 1,068
You could try with a comply ear tip too. You will hear more of the bass and warmth.

yes it will be more dark
redface.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #468 of 1,068
  So my E40 arrived yesterday but I wasn't in so they are delivering them again today. I'm disappointed that my main source died so I won't be able to test them out much for a couple of days until I sort that situation out.

Looking forward to your impressions
biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #472 of 1,068
So after giving the E40s ample burn-in and listening time, I've come to one conclusion: the E40, once fully burned-in, sounds just like the CKR9LTD. There's virtually no distinguishable difference as far as my ears could tell. Which means the E40 is a FANTASTIC value, no way you can go wrong with this. Just make sure to swap out the stock tips for a better tip like Spiral Dots.

Thus, I won't be writing a review for it, as you can read the existing CKR9LTD reviews to get a good idea of how the E40 sound like (this review is a good example). Might be selling my E40s soon in preparation for CKR90/CKR100 (which I have very high hopes for).

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #473 of 1,068
So after giving the E40s ample burn-in and listening time, I've come to one conclusion: the E40, once fully burned-in, sounds just like the CKR9LTD, and trying to find differences between them is pretty much a meaningless task. In other words, the E40 is a FANTASTIC value, and there's no way you can go wrong with this. Just make sure to swap out the stock tips for a better tip like Spiral Dots.

Thus, I won't be writing a review for it, as you can read the existing CKR9LTD reviews to get an idea of how the E40 sound like (this review is a good example). Will be selling the E40s soon in preparation for CKR90/CKR100 (which I have very high hopes for).

Cheers :beerchug:  

So CKR9 is still better than E40?

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #475 of 1,068
I'm here to offer some impressions I had after demoing the e50's for a while.
My reference is the Musical Fidelity EB-50 IEM's.
I'm not very good with the terminology used here though so sorry about that.

The first thing I'd say is that the ath-e50 is not as analytical as the EB-50, it's definitely coloured compared to the EB-50.
The bass is larger, which is a good thing because the EB-50 has a very low bass that needs an equalizer to enjoy.
The thing that disappointed was that (I'm not sure exactly how to describe this) the bass is not as detailed, not as transient maybe is the word? It definitely takes away from the fun of listening to electronic music for example, where each bass "boom" has higher volume, is more prominent, and is fast and tight maybe is the word?
Also, the bass and string instruments somehow seem distant, they're not lower, just distant.
The thing I liked about the ath-e50's though is that the vocals, especially female vocals sound amazing, much more alive than the EB-50's.

The thing I'd like to know is if the ath-e70's don't have the issue with the bass. Has anyone compared the ATH-E50 with ATH-E70?
If the issue is gone I'd probably get the ATH-E70's as I'm looking for IEM's with replaceable cables and basically the only other options I have here are Shure IEM's, which I don't like the fit of.
And speaking of fit, the e50's don't have bad comfort at all, and I really like that they don't force a weird time-consuming-to-put-on over ear cable design on you.

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #476 of 1,068
With e70 being a 3ba driver, the bass should be more prominent since u have drivers to drive bass, mids and treble respectively.

Never tried the e50 before, but I upgraded from a single ba iem (um pro 10) to the e70.

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #477 of 1,068
  If the issue is gone I'd probably get the ATH-E70's as I'm looking for IEM's with replaceable cables and basically the only other options I have here are Shure IEM's, which I don't like the fit of.
And speaking of fit, the e50's don't have bad comfort at all, and I really like that they don't force a weird time-consuming-to-put-on over ear cable design on you.

The E50's do have replaceable cables and are over the ear design as well.

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #478 of 1,068
So where's the E60? Dual-BA has always been my favorite set up (UE700 > 900, IM02>03, XBA20 > 30, etc etc).

Also don't like how ATH is following footsteps of Sony XBA series naming convention for each new generation, by adding more zeroes behind the numbers (XBA 1 --> XBA 10 --> XBA 100) with the CKR100 and E70 and such...

At least keep it IM20, IM30, IM40...What is wrong with ATH's marketing team...

Finally, IM03 was absolutely fantastic. And from what I read in this thread, the E70 is not as pleasant...

Been waiting for new Audio-Technicas but now I'm sad :frowning2: there's always CKR100 though. 

Jun 21, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #479 of 1,068
  So where's the E60? Dual-BA has always been my favorite set up (UE700 > 900, IM02>03, XBA20 > 30, etc etc).

Also don't like how ATH is following footsteps of Sony XBA series naming convention for each new generation, by adding more zeroes behind the numbers (XBA 1 --> XBA 10 --> XBA 100) with the CKR100 and E70 and such...

At least keep it IM20, IM30, IM40...What is wrong with ATH's marketing team...

Finally, IM03 was absolutely fantastic. And from what I read in this thread, the E70 is not as pleasant...

Been waiting for new Audio-Technicas but now I'm sad :frowning2: there's always CKR100 though. 

They only have one 2BA setup since the CK10 and it has been nearly the same for years in the CK90 and MKII and IM02. I guess we will see one in the new IM series but the E series is not them and obviously won't have that naming nor a full complement of armature models it seems. Just single driver, dual driver, and triple driver is all they want.

Need to try another browser I guess since I can't connect to it on Firefox atm, but I see Lunashops has CKS1100 connectors on sale for $17.00. obviously cables that will work with the E series won't be far away at all.
o2smile.gif

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #480 of 1,068

They only have one 2BA setup since the CK10 and it has been nearly the same for years in the CK90 and MKII and IM02. I guess we will see one in the new IM series but the E series is not them and obviously won't have that naming nor a full complement of armature models it seems. Just single driver, dual driver, and triple driver is all they want.

Need to try another browser I guess since I can't connect to it on Firefox atm, but I see Lunashops has CKS1100 connectors on sale for $17.00. obviously cables that will work with the E series won't be far away at all.
o2smile.gif

Great news! Finally, third party cables with A2DC connectors. 
smily_headphones1.gif

This should open the floodgates for more cable options for the E-series, new CKR-series, etc...

I still wonder when will Audio Technica make a A2DC equivalent of the HDC5 though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back