Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Jun 1, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #451 of 1,068
  its very hard to get the balance between those 2 at that price range imo

What would be your recommendation not considering the price

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #452 of 1,068
Well I'm certainly enjoying every bit of what the e70 has to offer - detailed sound, with clear bass and mids. I agree the pricing could have been more competitive against other triple BAs. You can't really discount it for being too analytical since its been designed for that, unless it's not analytical enough compare to other offerings.

However, maybe it's just me but I find that certain instruments like guitars seemed to be sound a little 'distant' on the e70.

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #453 of 1,068
So I have the E40 ordered again from the same place that had a mix up with stock the last time. They are expecting it in stock for the 15th June.

I'll also have a better source to pair these with too as I'm likely to purchase the HTC 10. I currently use a Samsung Galaxy Note II (International Wolfson DAC version).

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #456 of 1,068
Well I'm certainly enjoying every bit of what the e70 has to offer - detailed sound, with clear bass and mids. I agree the pricing could have been more competitive against other triple BAs. You can't really discount it for being too analytical since its been designed for that, unless it's not analytical enough compare to other offerings.

However, maybe it's just me but I find that certain instruments like guitars seemed to be sound a little 'distant' on the e70.

Can I ask you how you find the trebles? I like them quite bright as I have a pair IE800. Thank you.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #457 of 1,068
The trebles are detailed as well and not harsh. I always find cymbals sound harsh on audio technica products that I've tried  (be it headphones or iems), but not on the e70.   

Never tried the IE800 before so I can't really make any comparisons to it.

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #460 of 1,068
Anyone compared the E70 to the CK100Pro?

I tested the E70 a number of times and own the CK100Pro. IMO they have a completely different sound signature. The CK100Pro is neutral-bright with a treble peak, the E70 is warm with bass tilt and smoother highs. E70 have a dynamic-like bass with quantity, slam, and sub-bass reach while CK100Pro's bass is tight and fast like normal BA. E70's mids are tonally warm with no particular emphasis while CK100Pro has the typical upper mids emphasis of AT. Treble-wise the E70 is smooth and free of grain and harshness while CK100Pro has that infamous peak which causes sibilance and "hot" treble.

But then again, having tested multiple E70s from different locations I've found that they have different variations on the sound, perhaps due to burn-in time differences. Some were analytical with somewhat thin mids and peaky treble, while some were warm and tonally pleasant like I described in the comparison above. I could only assume that the warm ones were the good ones which were fully burned-in, but I could be wrong.

YMMV.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #461 of 1,068
But then again, having tested multiple E70s from different locations I've found that they have different variations on the sound, perhaps due to burn-in time differences. Some were analytical with somewhat thin mids and peaky treble, while some were warm and tonally pleasant like I described in the comparison above. I could only assume that the warm ones were the good ones which were fully burned-in, but I could be wrong.

YMMV.

Interesting that you mention this. I have auditioned the E70s at two places and wasn't left with a favourable impression as you described, peaky and harsh treble (for female vocals). I doubt they were "burned-in", but surely the disparity should not be this large? Probably worth noting was that I didn't get a consistent seal with the E70's since the angle of the nozzle is rather extreme for my ear anatomy (SE846 and W60 nozzle angle is perfect for me though)

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #462 of 1,068
Interesting that you mention this. I have auditioned the E70s at two places and wasn't left with a favourable impression as you described, peaky and harsh treble (for female vocals). I doubt they were "burned-in", but surely the disparity should not be this large? Probably worth noting was that I didn't get a consistent seal with the E70's since the angle of the nozzle is rather extreme for my ear anatomy (SE846 and W60 nozzle angle is perfect for me though)

Yes, there was a stark difference between the peaky and the warm E70. I probably would have believed it if they told me it was a different model. Of course, I much preferred the warm E70 and would like to believe that's the way it was meant to sound.

Probably also worth noting that the warm E70s I heard were from Audio Technica themselves at a convention and at Jaben, while the peaky ones were from some other retail shops.

Didn't have a problem with the fit though. They fit quite snugly in my ears.

EDIT: or it could simply just be fit differences and that I had a real good fit when I heard the warm E70s... (doubt it though, the fit feels the same everytime)

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #463 of 1,068
When I tried the E70 I founbd them very neutral. Actually I liked them, however am looking for a bit more fun signature.
Obviously sound perception here depends very much on the fit. As they are BAs, there is of course no burn-in effect whatsoever.

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #464 of 1,068
When I tried the E70 I founbd them very neutral. Actually I liked them, however am looking for a bit more fun signature.
Obviously sound perception here depends very much on the fit. As they are BAs, there is of course no burn-in effect whatsoever.

You might be right, will go try the E70s again with varying fit and report back if there are any sound changes from changing fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back