Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016
Jan 30, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #31 of 1,068
  Sweetwater posted a video overview, looks like they'll be selling too.
The BA model housings look similar to the CKB70 shape/nozzle angle (but with over-ear cable), which would be perfect because IM series did not get along with my outer-ear.

Oh wow, they look really nice. I'm very eager to try them out!

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #32 of 1,068
Somebody should tell Audio Technica to change their stupid, useless silicone tips as they are awful. Also I didn't like the new transparent ugly outer shell design. What the hell? Thanks but I'll stay with my CKR9.

LOL.......

Im using JVC spiral dots.......

Spinfits are overrated....

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #33 of 1,068
Somebody should tell Audio Technica to change their stupid, useless silicone tips as they are awful. Also I didn't like the new transparent ugly outer shell design. What the hell? Thanks but I'll stay with my CKR9.

I'm willing to bet the CKR9 will still have the best bass of the bunch. E40 aren't gonna beat it. If you have a CKR9 I don't see the need for an E40. Still say probably go with the Trinity esp. now that they are all dual push-pull including dual PP hybrids. That is the evolution including the ability to wear over the ear which goes without saying cause one of the cables will have memory wire.

I would think the E40 are perfect for someone who has never tried them before either new to them or didn't want to pay the prices the CKR were at. Having had time with the CKS1100, CKR9, and CKR9LTD, a cheap price is cool and better fitting is cool but I can see the fun and enjoyment not being there in a monitor tuning and them not appealing to or disappointing a CKR9 owner.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #34 of 1,068

Haha, ozkan. Guess this is where our preferences divide. I actually love that transparent shell.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #36 of 1,068
I liked it in the pictures.  Rich black color with a nice transparent housing against some contrasting red wires/ solder points.

In real life...that same matte plastic with a cutout that kind of looks out of place.  

IM series looked better in my opinion.  That said am still excited to hear how it'll sound.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #37 of 1,068
  I liked it in the pictures.  Rich black color with a nice transparent housing against some contrasting red wires/ solder points.

In real life...that same matte plastic with a cutout that kind of looks out of place.  

IM series looked better in my opinion.  That said am still excited to hear how it'll sound.

Well, I think it looks very nice. It was most certainly designed with Westone's UM series in mind.

It's definitely a bummer that they'll only be released in Japan in April. Don't think they'll have any demo units in any of the big retailers till then.

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #38 of 1,068
I think the design is somewhat inspired by their in-car sound systems where there is a transparent window to showcase the hardware. I quite like it, but more importantly, it needs to have impressive sound
etysmile.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #39 of 1,068
  I think the design is somewhat inspired by their in-car sound systems where there is a transparent window to showcase the hardware. I quite like it, but more importantly, it needs to have impressive sound
etysmile.gif

True. I'm a big Audio-Technica fan, and I have collected several of their IEMs and headphones over the past few years. I'm really looking forward to the new E-series. I hope they sound as good as they look!

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #40 of 1,068
I wonder when the E40 are really coming out in the U.S. I've seen dates like the 18th, the 21st, March 1st, March 11th, March 31st. I'm pretty sure the earlier ones are BS trying to generate pre-orders for those sites.

I'm still on the fence. i may grab a pair since my daily driver is now a Cowon and I had FiiO's, Sony a17 and S639, and a Lanhui and a Xuelin before. Could be a good synergy there and over the ear is nice, and $99 is cheap enough to try out.

Some newer pics...

...of the case which looks nice and roomy(necessary for a memory wire phone).

...and an in the ear shot...

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #41 of 1,068
  I'm still on the fence. i may grab a pair since my daily driver is now a Cowon and I had FiiO's, Sony a17 and S639, and a Lanhui and a Xuelin before. Could be a good synergy there and over the ear is nice, and $99 is cheap enough to try out.

I think I will be grabbing the e70 or e40, maybe both lol. It will be good to compare them to the current flagships from Shure and Westone.

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #42 of 1,068

I think I will be grabbing the e70 or e40, maybe both lol. It will be good to compare them to the current flagships from Shure and Westone.

We will all look forward to that...........

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #44 of 1,068
Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to test this new ATH-Exx series in CanJam... 
redface.gif

It is interesting to see AT put different setups of drivers in this series. Especially the single BA ATH-E50, wondering how a single super BA driver could compete with multiple BA driver.

Feb 21, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #45 of 1,068
Heard all three at Canjam. Here are some short impressions from the brief amount of time I had with them.

E40: Very nice! It has 90% of the CKR9LTD sound. Lively, punchy and dynamic. Very forward vocals, perhaps too close for comfort on some tracks. Bass is one of the best I've heard in this price range, almost exactly like CKR9LTD bass. For the price it's a superb value. Impressed!

E50: Quite neutral sounding, but nothing noteworthy about it. Sounds veiled in comparison to E70.

E70: Very flat tuning with a nice amount of sparkle in the highs. Somewhat reminiscent of the XBA-300. Resolution and detail are pretty good. Not nearly as fun or musical as the IM03, probably suited for monitoring only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back