Audio-Technica ATH-CM5 Aluminum Stick Earphones
Aug 12, 2003 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

purk

Headphoneus Supremus
Audiocube has this earbuds for 49 dollars. According to spec, it is very similar to Sony MDR-E888.

Specifications

Type: Dynamic
Driver Unit: 16mm diameter
Diaphragm: Bio-cellulose
Magnet: Neodymium
Cord: LC-OFC Class 1; Neck Chain, 0.6m (remote friendly)
Plug: Gold-plated, Stereo straight Mini Plug
Impedance: 16 ohms
Sensitivity: 110dB/mW
Power handling capacity: 50mW
Frequency Response: 20 - 24,000Hz

Aug 12, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 10
guinea pigs?.....anyone?....
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
that's a pretty low power handling, but portables only put out 5mW on average, so it's ok...aren't they supposed to be B&O clones or something??

Is this a MD average or a portable average?

Aug 12, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 10
Is this phone is the same as the Cresyn LMX-700? They do have similar spec except the frequency response.

Specifications
DRIVER UNIT
biggrin.gif
iameter 16mm
Cord Length :0.5m
Impedance : 16¥Ø
Sensitivity : Max 110dB/mW at 1KHz
Frequency Response : 8~27,000Hz
Rated Input : 10mW
Maximum Input Power : 50mW
Weight : g (except Cord)
Input Connection : 3.5mm Stereo Gold Plug
attachment.php

Aug 12, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Yes, AFAIK they are Cresyn OEMs. The pipe thingies are interchangable. Initial reviews say they can compete with A8s and E888s. I believe there are some members here with the Cresyn earphones so maybe they can comment on it.

Aug 12, 2003 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 10
Like swalker said, they are indeed Cresyn OEMs.

Even before this model Cresyn (formerly known as Leemax) OEMed to Audio Technica many other lower end earbuds.

Anyhow.

I just got the Cresyn here in Korea for about 45 bucks. The build quality is simply top notch, and IMO these are the best looking buds out there right now. Simply b-e-a-utiful.
biggrin.gif

Sound wise - it REALLY depends heavily on how the earbud is placed. Well, same with all earbuds, I guess, but since the Cresyn does not have partially covered cap (as in the E888 and other Sony models) it is crucial that the driver doesn't press firmly against your ear... it can sound really muffled if wrongly placed, but if it is tweaked well then it can sound very airy and pleasant.

It's not burned in yet and as people say, its sound will improve drastically over the next few weeks, but here are my initial impressions anyway.

Its sonic signature is similar to the E888 - focused more on the highs and mids, more on the bright side. The Senn MX400's sound I felt had much deeper presence, but at the same time, not as airy and transparent.

The sound does seem colored and indeed veiled compared to my Etys (obviously) but I was very very pleasantly surprised when I first put them on - even with my very spoiled ears (after hd600s, k501s, cd3000s, er-4p and more) they sounded very good. I would personally rate it higher than the E888s - of course it is stricty IMHO - I felt it provided an airier, more transparent sound compared to the E888s. Maybe it's just the way that the Cresyn can sit on my specific ear shape... I can get it so that it just doesn't sound like an earbud anymore. Of course, I lose a little bass but they're earbuds anyway, there's not much bass to lose in the first place...
tongue.gif

And they look sooo good...
biggrin.gif

Well. After a few more weeks of use I'll post my secondary impressions. As of now, I am very happy with my $45 purchase.

Sep 4, 2003 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 10
During my boring lunch break today I picked up the CM5's at the nearby shop for 6000 yen. Just for reference 888's cost 6400 yen. I bought them out of of boredom, curiosity, and the fact that they're the only other earbud in the same price range of the 888's. So being a dumb impulsive consumer I assumed they'd have to sound at least as good as the 888's.

Tried them out with my commuting rig, which unfortunately is my primary audio system if you consider the listening time it gets compared to my home system. They don't come with foam covers, so all my listening has been 'naked.' My commuting rig rotates between the 888's (with foam pads), ex-70's, and modded D66's. The 888's get the most time because they're smaller than the D66's and sound better with female voices, but I'd have to say that the D66's sound the best overall. But now that I have the CM5's I'll probably be using them as my primary phone for awhile.

To make a long story short, doobooloo is right. I second all of his comments. They have more bass than the 888's naked, and they also have a wider soundstage. They also are less fit sensitive than the 888's. Which is my biggest complaint about the 888's. I get a pretty consistent sound even when varying the angles and positions of the phones in my ears. And though I've never broken 888's (I have 3 pairs) the CM5's are much tougher than them.

So in short, they sound better, are more durable, and are cheaper than the 888's. So if you like the 888's I can't see any reason why someone wouldn't like the CM5's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back