Audio Technica ATH-AXXX
Aug 16, 2004 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jman999

Head-Fier
I'm currently looking at the Audio Technica ATH-A500 or A900 to replace my Senn. HD497 which I'm returning to radioshack. I have heard the sonic signature is in between that of Grados and Senns.

Are they both comfortable headphones? I need them to be able to block out the nice of my computer and also sometimes a large fan. I also need to be able listen to them for hours without listening fatigue.

What are the main differences between the A-500 and A-900 aside from price and impedance? Is there a very audibe difference insound quality?

My current headphone setup is as follows:
Chaintech AV-710 flashed to Prodigy--> Onkyo HT-R410 via optical out --> HD497's.

Thanks for your help, and if you have other good closed headphones to suggest, go right ahead.

-Jonathan.

EDIT: Sorry if I'm repeating, but I couldn't seem to find a complete thread with the two Athena's. I'll do some more searching and see what turns up.

Aug 16, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 5
Every question you've asked has been asked at least a dozen times, you might like to do a search and have a read. Briefly:
- they're very comfortable.
- I didn't know they're different impeedences, doesn't really matter, both are easy to drive. There are numerous posts on the differences, best do a search.
- They block out external noise pretty well.

I rate the A900s as the best value closed cans, and i've tried quite a few.

Aug 16, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 5
Just get the A900s don't even consider the 500s, you'll just want to get the 900s afterwards, like me. Damn Head-fi...
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 5
I really want the A-900's, but you can't even get them half-price on ebay, if you could I'd be all over them. If only someone on head-fi were to sell a pair with cosmetic defects, really cheaply. One can wish can't he?

Aug 16, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jman999
I really want the A-900's, but you can't even get them half-price on ebay, if you could I'd be all over them. If only someone on head-fi were to sell a pair with cosmetic defects, really cheaply. One can wish can't he?

wait like 5 yrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back