Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT Announcement Thread
Jun 12, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #271 of 300
Popped by the Audio Technica Flagship Store in Funan Mall, Singapore, this morning. And gave the AWKT (and briefly the AWAS) a run out with the BHA100 amp. First off, I will say I was surprised by the smallness of the footprint of the BHA100.

I must confess that I found the AWKT as airy and delicate as has been said. It is amazing how it is so transparent and yet not jarring. Just so nuanced and detailed. :)

F0B0A6FE-127F-4543-AF79-2DBE50BD02C7.jpeg
6D1B7804-AC24-44E2-A0D8-5B0376050DA6.jpeg

Jun 14, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #272 of 300
For some reason both AWKT and ADX5000 are not loved here, but IMHO they both are in the region of TOTL provided they amplified properly. Not in the bass heavy category but they are nuanced, dynamic and very natural with voices and most instruments. AKWT is surprisingly open for the closed headphone as well.

Jun 14, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #273 of 300
For some reason both AWKT and ADX5000 are not loved here, but IMHO they both are in the region of TOTL provided they amplified properly. Not in the bass heavy category but they are nuanced, dynamic and very natural with voices and most instruments. AKWT is surprisingly open for the closed headphone as well.
Agree. I was very surprised and taken by the ADX5000 as well.

EBE468C5-F523-4A8F-9C62-5C765E4D4C50.jpeg

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #274 of 300
Agreed, it was such a clear upgrade from my T1, perfect pairing for my Z1R, such a contrast between the two

Jun 15, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #275 of 300
As a long time avocate of the AWKT I would say its likely because there is a lack of a strong center image and that its coloured in a relexed way but still provides a lot of infomation. My guess would be that the AWKT isnt thick or exciting enough which is why the AWAS is much favoured even though imo it is quite lacking in the detail area.

Jun 16, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #276 of 300
As a long time avocate of the AWKT I would say its likely because there is a lack of a strong center image and that its coloured in a relexed way but still provides a lot of infomation. My guess would be that the AWKT isnt thick or exciting enough which is why the AWAS is much favoured even though imo it is quite lacking in the detail area.
I’m not sure what do you mean by lack of the strong center image. I’m using AWKT on DNA starlett, wa2 maxed and at ha5000 - None of the systems lacks anything in the image department. The sound character is more relaxed but with tons of detail at the same time so maybe this contributes to the impression that image should be more pronounced. in comparison W5000 is more defined but when compared to AWKT you can see this is great only till you can have them side by side. after short comparison, my W5k are just collecting dust, even if for me they are more comfortable than AWKT. Mind also that I have modded all my closed AT headphones with a piece of rope/tube inside the pads to create a bit more space.
This is the old discussion - more diffused instruments vs. sharply cut from the “sound fabric”. I have never heard on any life concert the instrument that is cut sharply and 100% defined in the space. IMHO this is actually what makes the life music sounds like life music - the sound exists in the space but the boundaries are not defined within the centimeters of precision. AWAS as for me slightly too warm and lacking detail but I see if matched with as amplification and colder DAC it might be quite enjoyable.
ADX5k for me are more natural than sennheiser HD800snr and the space being slightly smaller if defined in such a way that does not lack anything. I think ADX5K are least colored AT headphones.
AT headphones are colored, most of the headphones are colored one way or the other, and if they are not, most of us will find them boring. As long as we understand what we want it does not matter to me. I’m after enjoyment not hardcore neutrality :)
The story of AT headphones for me is a bit similar to my speakers story. You can get better , different but after trying a number of speakers i always find my system build around Guarneri Homage more natural than anything I have heard provided that you accept certain limitations. And I’m coming back to them just to enjoy the music when I have a rare moments of free time.

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #277 of 300
I’m not sure what do you mean by lack of the strong center image. I’m using AWKT on DNA starlett, wa2 maxed and at ha5000 - None of the systems lacks anything in the image department. The sound character is more relaxed but with tons of detail at the same time so maybe this contributes to the impression that image should be more pronounced. in comparison W5000 is more defined but when compared to AWKT you can see this is great only till you can have them side by side. after short comparison, my W5k are just collecting dust, even if for me they are more comfortable than AWKT. Mind also that I have modded all my closed AT headphones with a piece of rope/tube inside the pads to create a bit more space.
This is the old discussion - more diffused instruments vs. sharply cut from the “sound fabric”. I have never heard on any life concert the instrument that is cut sharply and 100% defined in the space. IMHO this is actually what makes the life music sounds like life music - the sound exists in the space but the boundaries are not defined within the centimeters of precision. AWAS as for me slightly too warm and lacking detail but I see if matched with as amplification and colder DAC it might be quite enjoyable.
ADX5k for me are more natural than sennheiser HD800snr and the space being slightly smaller if defined in such a way that does not lack anything. I think ADX5K are least colored AT headphones.
AT headphones are colored, most of the headphones are colored one way or the other, and if they are not, most of us will find them boring. As long as we understand what we want it does not matter to me. I’m after enjoyment not hardcore neutrality :)
The story of AT headphones for me is a bit similar to my speakers story. You can get better , different but after trying a number of speakers i always find my system build around Guarneri Homage more natural than anything I have heard provided that you accept certain limitations. And I’m coming back to them just to enjoy the music when I have a rare moments of free time.
Ah by center image I'm refering to how most headphones have a center piller in the soundstage where everything is blended together. Since the AWKT has no nebulus areas and has imaging radiating out from a point instead of a piller which might throw off people.

If you want hardcore neutrality you can look at the runway that is M70X. That is AT's most uncoloured headphone imo. ADX5000 is pretty coloured in comparison with its mids bump.

Personally the AWKT is still my endgame and its pretty hard to find something similar and better.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #278 of 300
True, I do think the ADX5000 is more colored than M70x. The ADX has more characteristics that most people remember, and it also changes depending on what you drive it with.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #279 of 300
I had in mind that adx5k is the least colored from the AT cans I have: w5k, w3kanv, awkt and adx5k. I think with their sound signature midrange colouring is actually desired. At least for me thus fact justifies to keep adx5k and Sennheiser HD800.

Nov 6, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #280 of 300
What upgrade cable would you recommend for AWKT? In line with what has been pointed out in the previous posts, I also found their sound signature is on the airy side so may be adding a bit of warmth to the sound would be helpful? Has anyone tried Lavricables on AWKT?

Nov 6, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #281 of 300
@camilletcrisp I had Lavricables Grand with AWKT and this was bad choice for this headphones. Too little midbass and aggressive higher midrange. I highly recommended Forza Audioworks Claire HPC MK2 cable, which add a little warmth and body and has zero microphonic effect.

I have 3,5mm jack version for sale, if you’re interested (I’m using my second FAW - XLR balanced version) :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #282 of 300
What upgrade cable would you recommend for AWKT? In line with what has been pointed out in the previous posts, I also found their sound signature is on the airy side so may be adding a bit of warmth to the sound would be helpful? Has anyone tried Lavricables on AWKT?
I'd go for a hybrid. Forza Noire Hybrid is a good choice, as is Arctic Cables Pallas.

Lavricables wouldn't work - not bright sounding, but somewhat lean. I also find build quality is a bit iffy, especially compared to Forza and AC.

Sep 5, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #283 of 300
I just got a pair of these headphones and paired them the Feliks Audio Echo Mk2.... It is an absolutely insane combination. I have heard things way, way more expensive that don't come close to that combination! I am going to get the AT 5000's next to see if I get the same result. Extremely detailed with extremely beautiful representation of instruments and vocals.

Sep 10, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #284 of 300
Been enjoying the AWKT for a couple of days now without listening to anything else. Anyone here encountered this interesting effect where the more you relex the more detail you can hear? Its a very interesting experence.

Also the AWKT might be too good of a headphone because its the one headphone that demands my all yet is relexed and enjoyable for hours on end. With the latter being the bigger issue because just spent a good 3hours enjoying music when I was supposed to stop at 2.

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #285 of 300
Hello everyone
I’m new to the site.
I have Sony WM1ZM, and WM1ZM2. I want to purchase the AWKT. What do you guys recommended for the best 4.4mm cable for this set up ?

I want to get the 4.4mm cable cable from Audio Technica because I want to get the most original sound from AWKT, but it doesn’t seem available for AWKT.
I prefer the original sound like stock cable without charging the tonality of AWKT.

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back