Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT Announcement Thread
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #106 of 300
Hello everyone. First post here.

How would these compare to Denon 9200?

I currently own a Sennheiser 800S that I am lookıng to complement with a wooden cup design that is both resolving and musical.

My shortlist are:

ATH AWKS - AWAS
ZMF Aeolus / Auteur
Denon 9200
Kennerton Vali or Gjallahorn which will be launched soon.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I dont have too much experience being relatively new in the hobby.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #107 of 300
I'd love to compare them to a verite closed
The Verite closed is a completely different sound. The bass response on the VC is huge. It's much deeper, hits harder with terrific slam. The AWKT's bass is more about giving you bass details and definition. The midrange on the VC is thicker and more lush. The AWKT's midrange is more neutral, more balanced, cleaner and clearer. The treble response is on the VC is very good, but falls inline with the tone and frequency response of the headphone. It's not rolled off, but rather laid back. The treble on the AWKT's is more open and extended and is rendered beautifully. The soundstage on both is about the same. Neither one of them sounds like a closed headphone.

The VC is more about musical enjoyment. It's warm, engaging, and submerges you in sound. Yet, it doesn't skip out on the details with it beryllium coated drivers. The VC's sound is definitely colored in comparison. The AWKT is insightful, looking more into the music. By highlighting detail, clarity, instrument separation with superior imaging while being more natural sounding. I enjoy both types of sound and find them to be complimentary headphones in my opinion.

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #108 of 300

I currently own a Sennheiser 800S that I am lookıng to complement with a wooden cup design that is both resolving and musical.

My shortlist are:

ATH AWKS - AWAS
ZMF Aeolus / Auteur
Denon 9200

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I dont have too much experience being relatively new in the hobby.

Thanks
Zmf Auteur or audio Technica awas or if you want a better hd800 sound the awtk(responds well to eq) is musical(neutral) to my ears and I'm coming from ier z1rs,Zmf auteurs, hd650, hd800(gaming hps), Zmf eikon. Slim1970 gives a better idea on the awtk than I have just think of the awas as a warmer more musical sig, in exchange for some detail, clarity.
Auteurs have a spacious sound, as if everything is further away and a warm and lush sound but with a 3d Holographic soundstage/imaging but still has all the details if you look for it(in this price range of headphones at least) Zmf headphones have alot of play too in the sense that padding wood choice and amps can affect the sound not a huge amount but in the finer details.

I stay away from Denon especially anything in the past 5 years.

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #110 of 300
Hi all, there's been some reports of creaking on the AWAS thread. Can any AWKT owners confirm if they have creaking in headband? Or any creaking more generally?
I did report it that's why I returned mine for the most part otherwise best headphone imo under 2k :)

Jul 10, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #115 of 300
Hi all, there's been some reports of creaking on the AWAS thread. Can any AWKT owners confirm if they have creaking in headband? Or any creaking more generally?
Yeah there is minor creaking when you stretch the headphone all the way. Solved by lubing the joints with mineral oil.
What I'm more curious is the supposed microphonics of either the SE or XLR cable. I havent been able to make either of them or the store samples sing even after making sweet love with my own clothes and varous flexable plastics.
I'm wondering if the Singapore batch just got lucky or is it atmospheric conditions that affect the microphonics.

Oh how does the D8000 sound in comparison? Cant get a sample at my place to try.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #116 of 300

My shortlist are:

ATH AWKS - AWAS
ZMF Aeolus / Auteur
Denon 9200

Thanks
The D9200 is the most musical of the cans in your list, IMO.

However, if you are going by sheer resolution capabilities, I think the AWKT beats the Denon by a hair. Mind you, I haven't compared them side to side, but I am planning to, in the near future.

I haven't heard the Vali or the Gjallarhorn, though.

The Verite closed is a completely different sound. The bass response on the VC is huge. It's much deeper, hits harder with terrific slam. The AWKT's bass is more about giving you bass details and definition. The midrange on the VC is thicker and more lush. The AWKT's midrange is more neutral, more balanced, cleaner and clearer. The treble response is on the VC is very good, but falls inline with the tone and frequency response of the headphone. It's not rolled off, but rather laid back. The treble on the AWKT's is more open and extended and is rendered beautifully. The soundstage on both is about the same. Neither one of them sounds like a closed headphone.

The VC is more about musical enjoyment. It's warm, engaging, and submerges you in sound. Yet, it doesn't skip out on the details with it beryllium coated drivers. The VC's sound is definitely colored in comparison. The AWKT is insightful, looking more into the music. By highlighting detail, clarity, instrument separation with superior imaging while being more natural sounding. I enjoy both types of sound and find them to be complimentary headphones in my opinion.
This is exactly how I would characterize the differences between the AWKT and the Vérité Closed; I agree with this completely. :)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #117 of 300
The D9200 is the most musical of the cans in your list, IMO.

However, if you are going by sheer resolution capabilities, I think the AWKT beats the Denon by a hair. Mind you, I haven't compared them side to side, but I am planning to, in the near future.

I haven't heard the Vali or the Gjallarhorn, though.

This is exactly how I would characterize the differences between the AWKT and the Vérité Closed; I agree with this completely. :)
Does the D9200 have the same headband as the D7200? I found the latter impossible in terms of comfort.

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #118 of 300
Does the D9200 have the same headband as the D7200? I found the latter impossible in terms of comfort.
Yeah, it's the same headband. The one on the D9200 feels a little plusher, though, but that could be expectation bias, considering its price premium over the D7200.

In any case, I didn't experience any major bouts of discomfort during my auditions, but that is also due to my limited usage of 15 minutes tops for each audition, before switching to another headphone. If anything, my ears were really sore after hours of testing headphones.

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #119 of 300
Yeah, it's the same headband. The one on the D9200 feels a little plusher, though, but that could be expectation bias, considering its price premium over the D7200.

In any case, I didn't experience any major bouts of discomfort during my auditions, but that is also due to my limited usage of 15 minutes tops for each audition, before switching to another headphone. If anything, my ears were really sore after hours of testing headphones.
Oh, thanks. There seemed to be some kind of wire mesh under the D7200 headband, which made them unusable for me. A shame.

Did you end up taking a plunge on one of the ATH woodies?

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #120 of 300
Yeah there is minor creaking when you stretch the headphone all the way. Solved by lubing the joints with mineral oil.
What I'm more curious is the supposed microphonics of either the SE or XLR cable. I havent been able to make either of them or the store samples sing even after making sweet love with my own clothes and varous flexable plastics.
I'm wondering if the Singapore batch just got lucky or is it atmospheric conditions that affect the microphonics.

Oh how does the D8000 sound in comparison? Cant get a sample at my place to try.
Thank you. How does one discharge the mineral oil - droplets?

The cable issue I am not concerned about as I would change cables anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back