Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT Announcement Thread
May 16, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #61 of 300
Wow that's a bit of a modification! No, fortunately no hotspots and i'm on six hours now and still no desire to take them off. I guess I must be lucky and have the perfect head shape for Audio Technica!

May 16, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #62 of 300
@Steve160k
Excellent Steve!

I am wondering any Hotspots on head? I actually needed to put a towel on my pair of AWAS in the attached pic.
20200516_184705.jpg

Has the headband wrap solved your comfort issues or are you looking for further fixes? I have a pair of Shure SRH 1540 that have a similar two-band headband style as these AT cans, and it was very uncomfortable after even 30 minutes of use. Thankfully the $10 wrap solved the issue and I can wear them for hours now.

May 16, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #63 of 300
Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #64 of 300
Has the headband wrap solved your comfort issues or are you looking for further fixes? I have a pair of Shure SRH 1540 that have a similar two-band headband style as these AT cans, and it was very uncomfortable after even 30 minutes of use. Thankfully the $10 wrap solved the issue and I can wear them for hours now.
I also did that "mod". I find it ok for both 1540 and adx5000 but its a issue with the weight of the AWKT. As long as the cloth(or rags in my case) is tight its very comfortable, imo AT should have gone with a fat headband to distribute the weight.

May 16, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #66 of 300
I now need a stand for these. Any suggestions?

Anything but metal for wood! I prefer wood stand on wood headphones. Where to find? That's on you :) check eBay and stuff.

May 17, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #70 of 300
AT wood headphones are known for their treatment of female vocals.

May 18, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #71 of 300
Not sure if possible with this version but with the W5000 I've never liked them touching my ears so you can put a synthetic rope or tube inside, cut to the size. This creates the cavity where my ears fit. The tonal balance is a bit more immediate , I do not feel like it has changed a lot (your ears are closer to the speaker). This ways i can use them for hours without a fatigue and i like this tonal balance more than the standard fit.

May 18, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #72 of 300
With the W1000, many of us used scuba tubing, cut to size and joined in a loop to go inside the pad to make it stand away a bit.

May 19, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #73 of 300
Yes, same concept.

May 26, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #74 of 300
Mine arrived today. They sound incredible out of the Hugo TT2. So much detail, but I think they need a little burn-in. The upper mids and treble are dominating right out the box.

IMG_0420.jpg

May 27, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #75 of 300
Tested the AWKT's tonight on a couple of different amps; the TT2, Conductor 3XR, and RME ADI-2 FS. Of the three, I preferred them on the RME ADI-2. The TT2 was too much of a good thing. A detailed, transparent DAC paired with a detailed headphone left me missing the music. The Conductor 3XR was a better pairing with the AWKT's. Good punchy bass, solid midrange, and the beautiful AT treble was all there, but all that power is not needed. I need to try the AWKT's out on the low gain setting of the 3XR to see if the sound improves more.

For now my favorite pairing for the AWKT's is the RME ADI-2 FS. It has a musical quality about it that seems to mesh very well the AWKT's. German engineering and Japan build quality are a perfect match. I took advantage of the on board PEQ to boost the lower midrange and sub bass on the AWKT's. I also smoothed out the treble. Now these headphones are fuller sounding with more body and sound more balanced. The AWKT's EQ very well as it turns out. The bass hits hard and deep when it's in the song and the midrange is more complete. The AWKT's now have the bass and midrange to match that lively and energetic treble. I'm fan of these headphones.....:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back