Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT Announcement Thread
Apr 27, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #46 of 300
To sum this up,

Cons: the headband, cables and earpads are issues. And the headphones rattles.

Pros: Sound quailty is the only winner (that's only if you like classical music and nothing else). And the cons can easily be fixed with the cost of extra money.

Overall, its another Japanese collector item for me :)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #47 of 300
To sum this up,

Cons: the headband, cables and earpads are issues. And the headphones rattles.

Pros: Sound quailty is the only winner (that's only if you like classical music and nothing else). And the cons can easily be fixed with the cost of extra money.

Overall, its another Japanese collector item for me :)
I highly disagree with the only classical sounds good on it. At lest to my ears pop rock, symphonic metal, arcapella, J-core edm, gothic works well with AWKT. Honestly I'm still confused with the male vocals sounding thin and fake part.

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #48 of 300
@llysender
I'm being absolute critical here. I wouldn't be surprised if it played well in most genre. AWKT just shows that the AWAS is the perfect complimentary pair :)

It's a must to own both of them it seems

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #50 of 300
Ah ic, if anything my issue with the sound sig would be the subbass all being trapped in the cups. Ran a couple of hip hop songs though it and I agree that it doesnt sound good. The subbass sounds too cluttered(?) and overwelming. Running open backs r70x and srh1440 makes them sound much better.

Yeah they are still using the A2DC connectors.

May 3, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #51 of 300
I have to say I love AT cans and W5000 is still my home office favorite being closed one and offering some isolation.
I actually heard those and the other new , lower range model - ATH-AWAS "Asada Zakura" and ATH-ADX5000 during the audio show in the NLD - Veldhoven Xfi Audio Show. It might be affected by the preproduction model, sub-optimal listening conditions and not familiar gear but I have to say that my impressions were very similar to the review link with some caveats. The AT team was switching cables and for me there was a negative impact of the XLR cable over the SE. Not sure but they were probably different construction. The amplifier was AT as well, with some tubes, do not remember the type but i was not familiar with it. For me the ADX5000 sounded in this setup almost too mellow like not AT that i know. I was rather surprised by this. Then, the lower model - Was kind of similar to the balance of the ADX5000 with smaller soundstage, better detail but it was not enough information for me. They were OK and comfortable but nothing special. I would not say they were better than W5000 , just different. Mind that both were not a final products and AT rep took some of my notes so this might be addressed in the final product.
And to the new star - "Kokutan" . Well, physically these are gorgeous. I cannot comment on the new suspension system as it was comfy but the old wings for me are very comfy as well. The build - anybody having W5000 - this is even more luxurious feeling and attention to details. They felt slightly heavier than my W5000 but not overly so. The sound, well for me bass was very good, well defined and textured. Good foot taping factor in my book. I never had any issues with AT fitting and I'm not a bass head so that might have something to do with it. The midrange - i had some issues to define it. There was a bit of coloration but for me it was very pleasant . I have tried with Katie Melua "Wonderful World" and her voice was very detailed, a lot of information about the recording area, reverb and decay very very convincing. I would not say there was a lack of body but this very well might be masked by the amount of detail and the recording. I did not have enough time to try male voices though. High frequencies - again i liked them a lot. Detail was very nice, breathing of the vocalists was well pronounced. A lot of ambient information. Instruments like violin were well reproduced. Sound stage very good for the closed can. Not HD800 level size wise but information about sound bouncing the church wall very convincing. All in all, I was very impressed and could see this as higher model comparing W5000 and also ADX5000 in this configuration. One might have impression that those cans are only about the detail but that was not my feeling. Actually the music picture was well laid down and detailed. I would not say they are thin sounding but also nothing like Sennheiser HD650 either.
Please take all this with the grain of salt as this is just from my memory, and personal notes, that I always make during the audio shows.
I might be interested to compare them at home and i think they might make great paring with the tube amp with some transparrent but warm sound or even AT-HA5000, that I quite enjoy also due to the form factor.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #52 of 300
I have to say I love AT cans and W5000 is still my home office favorite being closed one and offering some isolation.
I actually heard those and the other new , lower range model - ATH-AWAS "Asada Zakura" and ATH-ADX5000 during the audio show in the NLD - Veldhoven Xfi Audio Show. It might be affected by the preproduction model, sub-optimal listening conditions and not familiar gear but I have to say that my impressions were very similar to the review link with some caveats. The AT team was switching cables and for me there was a negative impact of the XLR cable over the SE. Not sure but they were probably different construction. The amplifier was AT as well, with some tubes, do not remember the type but i was not familiar with it. For me the ADX5000 sounded in this setup almost too mellow like not AT that i know. I was rather surprised by this. Then, the lower model - Was kind of similar to the balance of the ADX5000 with smaller soundstage, better detail but it was not enough information for me. They were OK and comfortable but nothing special. I would not say they were better than W5000 , just different. Mind that both were not a final products and AT rep took some of my notes so this might be addressed in the final product.
And to the new star - "Kokutan" . Well, physically these are gorgeous. I cannot comment on the new suspension system as it was comfy but the old wings for me are very comfy as well. The build - anybody having W5000 - this is even more luxurious feeling and attention to details. They felt slightly heavier than my W5000 but not overly so. The sound, well for me bass was very good, well defined and textured. Good foot taping factor in my book. I never had any issues with AT fitting and I'm not a bass head so that might have something to do with it. The midrange - i had some issues to define it. There was a bit of coloration but for me it was very pleasant . I have tried with Katie Melua "Wonderful World" and her voice was very detailed, a lot of information about the recording area, reverb and decay very very convincing. I would not say there was a lack of body but this very well might be masked by the amount of detail and the recording. I did not have enough time to try male voices though. High frequencies - again i liked them a lot. Detail was very nice, breathing of the vocalists was well pronounced. A lot of ambient information. Instruments like violin were well reproduced. Sound stage very good for the closed can. Not HD800 level size wise but information about sound bouncing the church wall very convincing. All in all, I was very impressed and could see this as higher model comparing W5000 and also ADX5000 in this configuration. One might have impression that those cans are only about the detail but that was not my feeling. Actually the music picture was well laid down and detailed. I would not say they are thin sounding but also nothing like Sennheiser HD650 either.
Please take all this with the grain of salt as this is just from my memory, and personal notes, that I always make during the audio shows.
I might be interested to compare them at home and i think they might make great paring with the tube amp with some transparrent but warm sound or even AT-HA5000, that I quite enjoy also due to the form factor.
I can't wait to get my AWKT's. It's on backorder still. I sold my 2000z's and AP2000Ti's with the hopes that these are the next step up. Your listening impressions has me excited to get my hands on them.

May 16, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #53 of 300
Well, after several hours on my head (yes - these are comfortable!) the 'Kokutan' closed back definetly get the thumbs up. I don't have all the jargon to describe what i hear, but in my opinion, It's all there in balance, nothing takes center stage - great female vocals, especially Hannah Reid, Freya Ridings, Celine Dion, Beth Gibbons, Lisa Gerrard - It's all in control at the higher frequencies. Diana Krall - you can hear her breath. David Gilmour - WOW - do these do the electric guitar!! Shine on, Comortably Numb - awesome!!

Who said there was a lack of bass? Just play 'nothing else matters' (Metallica - S & M) and make your own mind up. Keane 'everybodys changing' - bass all in balance. Do not be put off thinking these are bass light - that is not the case. Dry male vocals?? Try Tom Chaplin (Keane) 'she has no time' - dry, I really don't think so.

These are fast, smooth, in control, more on the bright side than warm, but never harsh. Sound Stage is adequate. Transparent - yes, I like hearing everything and you certainly get that. If it's a great recording these give you everything.

No issues at all with microphonics on the cables as some have reported. You can shake them as much as you like - silent. The combination of the beautiful dark kokutan wood and the smell of old leather reminds you these are from a smaller boutique company that have been around a long time, and take pride in what they do. The build quality is excellent.

I would like to have the ADX5000 side by side as a comparison open back as i believe they share the same tuning, so may have a pair next week. As a comparison. I previously had Mr Speakers Ether C closed which were similar in transparancy but definetly lacked bass. These tick that box.

Sound leakage from these is no issue, and they insulate you from outside disturbances when listening. The only negative for comfort is the ear pads are shallow so close to your ear, but I personally had no issue and had these on for approx four hours straight.

For anyone sitting on the fence taking on board the negatives from what you might have picked up elsewhere searching around for this new headphone, I can whole heartedly say give these a try. I am glad I took the plunge, keeping in mind that we all hear differently. One man's meat as they say.

Attachments

• Audio Technica - AWKT Kokutan.JPG
    Audio Technica - AWKT Kokutan.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Audio Technica AWKT Kokutan - 2.JPG
    Audio Technica AWKT Kokutan - 2.JPG
    239.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #54 of 300
Well, after several hours on my head (yes - these are comfortable!) the 'Kokutan' closed back definetly get the thumbs up. I don't have all the jargon to describe what i hear, but in my opinion, It's all there in balance, nothing takes center stage - great female vocals, especially Hannah Reid, Freya Ridings, Celine Dion, Beth Gibbons, Lisa Gerrard - It's all in control at the higher frequencies. Diana Krall - you can hear her breath. David Gilmour - WOW - do these do the electric guitar!! Shine on, Comortably Numb - awesome!!

Who said there was a lack of bass? Just play 'nothing else matters' (Metallica - S & M) and make your own mind up. Keane 'everybodys changing' - bass all in balance. Do not be put off thinking these are bass light - that is not the case. Dry male vocals?? Try Tom Chaplin (Keane) 'she has no time' - dry, I really don't think so.

These are fast, smooth, in control, more on the bright side than warm, but never harsh. Sound Stage is adequate. Transparent - yes, I like hearing everything and you certainly get that. If it's a great recording these give you everything.

No issues at all with microphonics on the cables as some have reported. You can shake them as much as you like - silent. The combination of the beautiful dark kokutan wood and the smell of old leather reminds you these are from a smaller boutique company that have been around a long time, and take pride in what they do. The build quality is excellent.

I would like to have the ADX5000 side by side as a comparison open back as i believe they share the same tuning, so may have a pair next week. As a comparison. I previously had Mr Speakers Ether C closed which were similar in transparancy but definetly lacked bass. These tick that box.

Sound leakage from these is no issue, and they insulate you from outside disturbances when listening. The only negative for comfort is the ear pads are shallow so close to your ear, but I personally had no issue and had these on for approx four hours straight.

For anyone sitting on the fence taking on board the negatives from what you might have picked up elsewhere searching around for this new headphone, I can whole heartedly say give these a try. I am glad I took the plunge, keeping in mind that we all hear differently. One man's meat as they say.
Dang it, I’ll be glad when mine ships. Nice write up, btw

May 16, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #55 of 300
I've been so close to grabbing the AWAS, but the pad depth sounds like it might be an issue. I'm sensitive to stuff touching my ears and prefer fully over ear cans. :/

May 16, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #56 of 300
Depending on individual ear size it may not be an issue. I am into the sixth hour now, and still comfortable. These are so non fatigueing. But that obviously has a lot to do with the music you listen to. Mine is a lot of female vocals, and acoustic. These are excellent.

May 16, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #57 of 300
Depending on individual ear size it may not be an issue. I am into the sixth hour now, and still comfortable. These are so non fatigueing. But that obviously has a lot to do with the music you listen to. Mine is a lot of female vocals, and acoustic. These are excellent.

Yep, largely the same genres here so I'm still thoroughly intrigued. Decisions!

May 16, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #58 of 300
@Steve160k I dont think they lack bass, they have the curous querk of trapping all the subbass within the cup to the point where you can hear the shape of the cup. Makes they not very good for subbass heavy songs.

Hmmm...I would say AWKT is almost perfect natural with just the correct amount of wamth while ADX5000 is flat leaning bright. But I havent heard the ADX5000 in a couple of months since the lockdown but I do recall the ADX5000 sounding nothing like the R70X and that the AWKT more or lass sounds similar to the R70X but with a touch less midbass and slightly more trebble energy and extention.

Glad to know you are enjoying it though. I would like to add that pop punk male vocals like set it off, man with a mission and system of a down sounds wonderful on it in addition of the AWKT being a very nice electronic can.

May 16, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #59 of 300
I was referring to the review on Headfonia which largely is what I hear, apart from the bass issue they mentioned. Before i had these shipped out I was expecting them to be somewhat bass light, and uncomfortable. In reality, it is completely the opposite. But my head size/shape may be completely different to the reviewer. Everything is subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back