Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9 Noise Cancelling headphones to be released in Japan in February
Apr 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Anyone had a chance to try these out yet?

Received these in the mail today. Initial impressions are very positive. They are super comfortable and the materials are high quality. And I can tell a difference between the three modes of noise cancellation:
  1. Airplane mode has a "it's squeezing my head" kinda feeling without the music playing, but it's not painful by any stretch of the imagination. Plus I'm sure one won't notice this feeling during a flight. Also, the high end is more prominent in this mode.
  2. Office mode has less of that "head squeeze" feeling, and the low end comes out more in this mode.
  3. Study mode is my favorite so far (after like an hour of listening in a silent house haha). This one presents the best tonal balance of the three.
With all of these, the ANC feature isn't completely silent, but there's not an annoying "hisssssss" either. It's like there's a soothing waterfall or calm springtime rainfall in the distant background. I personally find this soothing, and it's only present when there's no music. It could possibly go away after burning in, too.

p.s. with the ANC turned off, they still sound okay, but the noise is veiled. An amp would probably help in this mode, because I'm listening off my iPhone 4S and these things have an impedance of 100 ohms.

With it's combination of comfort and sound quality, I think Audio Technica have a real winner in their hands. At the very least, these are winners in my humble book. I'll be keeping these for a loooonnnnnngggggg time to come
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back