Audio-Technica ATH-AG1x ear pad compatibility?
Jul 4, 2016 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nraymond

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has the AG1x could comment on what the ear pads are like, and if the are compatible with the ATH-AD900 family of headphones? Specifically I am wondering if the pads are leather-like (not cloth) and how deep they are.

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has the AG1x could comment on what the ear pads are like, and if the are compatible with the ATH-AD900 family of headphones? Specifically I am wondering if the pads are leather-like (not cloth) and how deep they are.

So I ended up tracking down some aftermarket pads from a seller on ebay for $13. They listed compatibility with the "AD1000X AD2000X AD900X AD700X", and I was able to get them to fit the AD900, though they didn't have the explicitly asymmetrical material for holding the pads in place over the angled part of the headphone frame, they fortunately have just enough material to hold it over the deepest edge. I assume the AD900X and the rest of the "X" family still has the angled pad frame, and it's just this aftermarket pad maker which doesn't do the asymmetrical thing?

Anyway, the pads do exactly what I want. Compared to the stock velour (or whatever that material is) pads, these are synthetic leather, squishier, and deeper. The effect on the acoustics is to give the bass a lot more authority and impact, and prevent the tips of my ears from touching the driver grill. They're a bit warmer to wear because they breathe less, but these aftermarket pads turn the AD900 into the greatest headphones I've ever listened to.

These pads are better than the official ATH-W5000 leather pads in my opinion, which I also have (and which are better than stock). The W5000 pads aren't as deep as I'd like for my ears (my eartips touch), and don't seal as well, but do improve the bass on the stock AD900 - just not as well as the aftermarkets. I'm still curious for more info about the official AG1x pads though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back