Audio Technica ATH-AD900x rubber band mod?
Apr 21, 2015 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rookie Rooster

100+ Head-Fier
Long story short: i got me a new set of headphones, Audio Technica ATH-AD900x and the 3D-Wing is too loose - the weight holds the cans down that the earpads actually took some weight till the pinna gets fatigued some 2 hrs later and I have to take them off. So I made that "rubber band mod" people were talking about, and the fit seemed tighter - it felt tighter than what I'd have imagined from people's reviews. The wings took the full weight but then came the clamping force on the sides. That doesnt happen without the mod. The two slack rubber bands probably proves that its not too tight, but still, I'm afraid it might damage the wings, so... oh, and the clamping force, too, so...
Is that normal?

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 9
Long story short: i got me a new set of headphones, Audio Technica ATH-AD900x and the 3D-Wing is too loose - the weight holds the cans down that the ear pads actually took some weight till the pinna gets fatigued some 2 hrs later and I have to take them off. So I made that "rubber band mod" people were talking about, and the fit seemed tighter - it felt tighter than what I'd have imagined from people's reviews. The wings took the full weight but then came the clamping force on the sides. That doesn't happen without the mod. The two slack rubber bands probably proves that its not too tight, but still, I'm afraid it might damage the wings, so... oh, and the clamping force, too, so...
Is that normal?

I fixed my wing issue with my ATH-A900Xs by folding the wings down towards the cups, leave them that way for a few night (and days).
This changes the "memory" of the springs that control the wings, makes them hold up the weight of the headphones better.
I did not need to use the rubber band fix.

The ATH-A900X/AD900X come in the package with the wings held in such a way that the springs that control the wings get a poor "memory" on holding up the headphones.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Umm, okay, lemme try... i nailed that plastic mould-like thingy down to the inside of my cupboard intending to use it as a headphone stand, guess that wouldnt work then, huh? Also, wouldnt the "memory" eventually wear out over time after long hours on the head?

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 9
Umm, okay, lemme try... i nailed that plastic mould-like thingy down to the inside of my cupboard, guess that wouldn't work then, huh? Also, wouldn't the "memory" eventually wear out over time after long hours on the head?

I guess after awhile the spring memory would not be as good, but you can always just do the same fix again.
I've always assumed there are springs used to control the wings, but I'm not really wanting to open up any of my Audio Technica headphones, just to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back