Audio Technica ATH-AD900 woes =(
Sep 9, 2005 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JackFrost 77

New Head-Fier
Well finally I got my AD900's and i'm very impressed with the clarity and overall quality of sound too say the least, a very big improvement from my HD270.

My only gripe with these is that they have very very weak bass. I'm no bass junkie but I like bass to be there when it needs to be i.e in explosions and such.

These phones don't deliver, however they have a very...different kind of bass from what i'm used to. it's not hard hitting and deep, it's very accurate and a bit too shallow for my liking sometimes.

Of course I read that they didn't have great bass so I wasn't expecting anything spectacular there but then I wasn't expecting to be as disapointed.

But I'm confident that after burn in they will get better in that department, as this also happend with my HD270 they improved ALOT with their bass after along period of use, well i thought so anway. With a bit of eq'ing I could turn those things into a mini sub, they where serious bass beasts when eq'ued
basshead.gif

Anyway so onto my concern...I'm sure anyone would have thought that this could have been overcome with some eq'ing of the bass. So I decided to give it a shot and low and behold no sooner had I increased the bass a few notches, and not having the overall volume at an intollerble level, they started to have some major problems.

I heard massive static, things rattling around inside the phones and many other god awfull sounds that made me think the drivers where going to explode any second
blink.gif
so terrified by this I quickly turned down the bass back to normal not wanting to cause any dammage to my precious.

Now I have not tried upping the bass much at all since then in fear of what might happen. I have been thoughrouly enjoying them though but I still continue to some times hear what sounds like somthing is moving around inside of the phones, I also get some bad static from time to time, although none are too common or annoying atm.

So bassicaly i'm concernd, are these symptoms usuall by some chance? does it mean these are faulty? Why did my AD900 have such a problem with the bass when my HD270 could have the bass eq'ued to an intollerable level (not that you'd want to put it that high) but the AD900 can't be eq'ued at all with bass?

Well i'm not sure if that all made sense or not but anyway....
If anyone could umm tell me whats going on with them and possibley reassure me that they are ok I would be very greatfull indeed. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Sep 9, 2005 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 10
A few things -

if you wanted a closed can that would Bring the Bass, the general recommendation at that price point would have been the Beyerdynamic DT770. just for future reference.
basshead.gif

your new cans are probably more sensitive/revealing than your old senns, and maybe lower impedance, and so are susceptible to bad EQ. eqing for bass isn't my fave route.

those cans usually don't need amping, but it sounds like you are pushing the signal too hot from your computer. a headphone amp would help you, since a clean, lower signal from your comp would give you more headroom to play with bumped freqs, and also power the cans to earsplitting levels without breaking up.

finally, if you HAVE to use eq, don't raise the bass above 0. instead, lower the mids and highs BELOW zero. that way the eq won't kill you, and you can adjust by using the volume slider.

Sep 9, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 10
Yeah I knew about the DT770's, but I don't want uber bass, like I said I just want good bass that's there when it's needed if you know what I mean...

Well I only thought i'd try upping the bass a little bit because it wasn't nearly as much as my senns that I was used too...Like I said though I upped the bass to headache levels on my senns and they where fine with it, these ones can't even take a minor tweaking...

I can't afford an amp they are waaay out of my price range and I dont think I could justify spending $800 overall on headphones+amp.

I tried putting the highs+mids down instead of upping the bass before and all that did was make everything all muffled and I couldn't hear lyrics etc very well...it sort of sounded like someone hitting a pillow...XD

Anywho thanks for your help...

Sep 9, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 10
Put atleast 24hrs of music play time through them.

I just got my A900s a couple days ago also, zero bass, was not happy, but knew that as used the surrounds would loosen and the sound would change.
So, I hooked them up, put them on the plastic tray thing from the box so they seal up to it and let them play overnight with barely and sound coming out.

Huge difference, I have done that 3 nights now and these are quite the bassy muthas.

SF

Sep 9, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Yeah, when you burn them in, make sure there's plenty of bass frequencies in your burn-in music.

Sep 9, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 10
Good grief, I had no communication skills this morning.

I was trying to convey.....
Put the cans on the plastic holder and put the volume at normal listening level. Even playing, not much sound will come out because the cans will be pressed into the plastic holder. So they can play and not bother you, or anyone else.

Make sense now?
eek.gif

280smile.gif

SF

Sep 10, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 10
Some headphone amps are quite cheap, so you wont have to spend 100s of bucks. The PA2V2 for example should provide a warm sound (what you are missing?) for $60, and Gary who makes them is a really nice guy and can answer any questions you have quickly,

Sep 10, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #8 of 10
Hmmm, I tried using my AD2000 with the PA2V2 and this is what i got: the left and right channels seemed unbalanced. Meaning, when the volume control knob is at around the 4 o'clock position(which is already way too loud), the left side of the headphone seems to be louder than the right side. And at 1 o'clock, the left side is nearly dead quiet while the right side plays the music. As you crank the volume from 1 o clock to 5 o clock you can hear the music getting louder in this sequence: right, left right left together, left, right........Only after the 5 o clock position then did i get a balanced sound. I have no problems with my senns HD650 though cause the volume is always set around 6 oclock position which means both sides are balanced. Any body having trouble with this? This is more significant when the volume is set slightly short of the 3 o clock position. After the 3 o clock position, the left side does get louder but at a slower rate than the right side. It goes all the way till it passes the 5 O clock position then does both sides of the cans sound balanced in terms of loudness.....

Gosh, what am i talking??But hope you guys understand. This is getting irritating. And I can confirm this cause when i run my AD2000 outta my Ipod, there isnt this problem.

Currently, i just set my PA2V2 volume to the 7 o clock position and connect the Shure's level attenuator to it and then my AD2000 to the level attenuator so that i get balanced volumes with both channels as well as the desired volume i want. Cause at around the 3 O clock position, the AD2000 is already getting too loud for me.....

Sep 13, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed-Freak
Good grief, I had no communication skills this morning.

I was trying to convey.....
Put the cans on the plastic holder and put the volume at normal listening level. Even playing, not much sound will come out because the cans will be pressed into the plastic holder. So they can play and not bother you, or anyone else.

Make sense now?
eek.gif

280smile.gif

SF

lol ok..yeah well i shall leave them to burn in overnight as during the day i'm prety much using them non stop :p I'm pretty sure a burn in will also help my cans so im not too concernd about them yet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu
Some headphone amps are quite cheap, so you wont have to spend 100s of bucks. The PA2V2 for example should provide a warm sound (what you are missing?) for $60, and Gary who makes them is a really nice guy and can answer any questions you have quickly,

hmm ok well I did look around quite a bit and couldn't find any cheap amps at all. I think the cheapest I found was a cmoy for like $200 or somthing like that =\.

Baring in mind that I live in Australia so i'm not gona order from america because i've tried that before and i'll never try it again lol. After customs went through my last package, put all the items through some nuclear radiation BS to test they werent WMD's or some complete BS and then detained half of the items because they where thought to be dangerous and then wanted to charge me $50 per item to get them sent to me.....********

Sep 13, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #10 of 10
If you are hearing rattling, then it is likely a problem with the cans. Mine are quite happy bass boosted (via SM3.) AD900 is quite similar to etys in that bass is controlled and not boomy, which I find senns tends to be.

Personally, I won't bother with cheaper amps as AD900 doesn't benefit noticably from amping like cans such as DT880... And it certainly will not increase bass respons with amping.

BTW, are you eq'ing via a computer? Static etc. are likely the by product of the soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back