Audio Technica ATH-AD700 - Opinions please!
Apr 16, 2009 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Panta

Head-Fier
I am about to buy a pair of these for playing FPS games and listening to music, is this a good choice? What do you think of these headphones?

Thanks

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 13
Assuming you've read a fair amount, just get them if you like what you read.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 13
I can't say anything about their gaming capabilities, but they'll be able to handle pretty much any music you throw at them fairly well. Bass isn't lacking, but won't blow you away. If you're on a fairly tight budget and don't need any sort of isolation, go for it.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 13
They're good for games as well as music. They leak a bit though, so for total immersion you need a quiet environment (no loud room mates, etc.)

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 13
I have a pair and I think they are pretty good for gaming. Amping them won't prove massively beneficial, but I found that they got a bit more bassy. However, if you are willing to take time to equalize them whilst being amped, then you will find that the gains are quite nice as you can pump up the bass without it getting all fuzzy. However, you do need an amp to really effectively equalize them from what I can tell. That is just my 2 cents though. But for a first time headphone, I think that they are really great. The only other phones I have heard are some Grado SR-60s and a pair of Edition 9s, so I don't have a whole lot of experience on the matter. And sorry for any poor grammar/writing...my brain is a bit tired right now.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 13
You can't find many headphones that are the equal for the AD700s anywhere near this awesome price range as far as gaming is concerned.

Until you get to some very high end open headphones, easily 4 or 5x the price, you won't find this accuracy in soundstage anywhere. Not as fun as my D2000s for gaming, it wont get you as pumped up with every grenade and your heart pound with every kill like these closed headphones do with Killzone 2, but they do make it possible to hear every footstep and know almost exactly where it came from. Great for performance gaming.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #9 of 13
Yeah, one of the best parts about these is their comfort. I just gamed for about 3 hrs with my Grados, and my ears hurt. The AD700's are so feather light I can wear them for hours and hours and not even realize they're on.

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite amazing for the price..I'm only selling mine to fund my DT48 rig. They are easly my favorite headphone.

Wait, what?

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #13 of 13
I have a pair of the AD700s and the A900s. I really like the comfort of the 700s because they dont squeeze my head as tight, I can hear outside of them but only if I turn down the volume. They have great treble and pretty nice mids. The only trouble with the 700s is that I miss the bass from the A900s, I simply feel like I dont hear any of the good lows that I did with the A900s. Explosions arent as fun, hip hop and techno isnt as fun. The closed headphone just has that extra umph that I like in a set of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back