Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Open Air Dynamic Headphones
Feb 2, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 8
You can do far better than $800. Try Bluetin.com, Audiocubes.com, or Pricejapan.com.

Search the forum for info on them. There's also my review up in the Featured Full Reviews section too.

Feb 2, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 8
They're excellent phones, but see if you can get them a little cheaper. I did a semi-review too a few months ago, with a lot of pictures. If you like the speed and impact of a Grado but find the coloration of the "body" to be a little too much, the AD2000 might suit you to a tee.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 8
Just do a search... and you'll find lot's of discussions of the AD2000's.

In general... you'll find those discussions "highly recommend" them -as one of the 2 or 3 best phones available in the <$1,000 range.

They sound a lot like the RS-1's, or HD600's, with slightly more clarity and detail with a more "airy" soundstage. Truly exceptional phones, and very easy to drive - much moreso than even the RS-1's.

Yeah... they go for about $450 in "like new" used condition, and about $480 new from Price Japan (EMS is an acceptable shipper).

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 8
From reading these boards I find the AD2000 are very particular headphones...not a lot of people have them but those that do LOVE them. Kinda like the JVC DX1000's...

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 8
never heard of em
plainface.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 8
When I had AD2000....I thought they sound between MS2i and MS-Pro. Then again..AD2000 price is between MS2i and MS-Pro
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 8
I just borrowed a pair for a week. Admittedly that's not a lot of time to adjust, but I did listen quite a bit. While they do somethings extremely well (strings and female vocals particularly), they weren't as airy as I expected nor on the other side of things have as much body of some other popular phones. And for open phones they sounded a bit closed. BTW, I don't have a lot of experience with the higher ATs (brief listens to L3000 most notably). I certainly would say they were very good, and no doubt like the K501, would have a fanbase, but overall in no way would I put them in the "2 or 3 best phones available in the <$1,000 range." I wouldn't even say that for the <$500 range for general purpose duty. I don't doubt though for the right music they could be the phones to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back