Audio-Technica ATH-AD1000X: alternate to original ear pads?
Apr 11, 2018 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kantatenwerk

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I own some Audio-Technica ATH-AD1000X and as I said in the thread's title, I´m one of those that have problems using this headphones: in my case after an hour +- having them on, I suffer of annoying pain in my ears, in the superior part of them, guess because my ears touches the drivers.

I've read that some guys had same issue, and they've replaced original pads. So, my question is which pads can I buy/use for replacing the original pads ... Or maybe there is any "homemade" mod to fix this problem?

I'll be very grateful if someone can link or give me the information to buy another pads, etc. I really like the headphones, because are the ones that I like to use when I'm listening Choral/Sacred music, but it's very fustrating not be able to use them for a pleasure and prolonged listening.

Thanks in advance.

K

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 4
Brainwavz pads will work. I use oval HM5 pads on my ADG1X... very, very tight fit. Since then, Brainwavz have introduced circular pads in 2 sizes... not sure which one will fit but they have measurements on the website.

Another possibility is the headphone sliding down your head and putting pressure on the top of your ear cartilage. You may be able to fix that with the rubber band mod. After getting new pads and a slight bend to the head band, I was able to get mine to fit better so I did away with the rubber band.

Apr 11, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 4
Brainwavz pads will work. I use oval HM5 pads on my ADG1X... very, very tight fit. Since then, Brainwavz have introduced circular pads in 2 sizes... not sure which one will fit but they have measurements on the website.

Another possibility is the headphone sliding down your head and putting pressure on the top of your ear cartilage. You may be able to fix that with the rubber band mod. After getting new pads and a slight bend to the head band, I was able to get mine to fit better so I did away with the rubber band.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll take a look of those Brainwavz pads. ATH-AD1000X's pads are circular, so that could work ...

I really think that in my particular case, is more a problem of my ears (anatomically speaking) than other thing. As I have this problem with the headphones since the beginning, I've not used them very much, so the clamp is correct. As I said, my ear touches the drivers inside the headphone, a combination of a thin pad + big ears I'm afraid, and this is what causes me the pain. I think that getting a thicker pads it will work, but I have not idea which ones will be compatible with this specific model.

Anyway, you put me in some direction. Thank you :thumbsup:

K

May 24, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 4
There's also, Dekoni's tailor made pads for them, which came in 3 configuration, sheepskin. Velour, and fenestrated sheepskin, each goes for 59-79 bucks..
Also there's $20 replacement Zeos from ZReview recommend that simply improve the comfort without changing the sound, (he said). Then the brainwavz, never seen those, don't they are a bit too big for these? No?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back