Audio-Technica ATH-A900Ti good headphones for getting into the game?
Nov 19, 2009 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

panda-R

Head-Fier
Can anyone recommend these to start out with in this hobby? I am getting serious about this hobby and have started to build my setup. I need a set of full size phones for home use. I plan on getting an amp to drive them (LD MKIII, or maybe a portable ALo Rx). They are about 360USD here in HK. Or should I go with something cheaper such as the AD900's which are about 200USD.

From what I read the Ti's seem to be much better than the regular A900's.

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 14
I prefer open to closed and own the AD900 and like them alot. But the bass of the A900Ti will be stronger due to them being a closed phone so if bass is a big thing for you then you might want to get the Ti. Otherwose the open sound of the AD900 is awesome IMO. BTW $200 for the AD900 is also an amazingly good price (they sell used on the forum here for that price) so you might want to go the AD900 route and flip them if they don't float your boat.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 14
'Much' better is pretty subjective. The only way to know if they're worth the extra is to try both, but who can do that?

You're also paying some of that premuim for the Ltd Ed. tag.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 14
I have both. Ask me.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda-R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okok i ask you!

They are both awesome headphones. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Because of it's lush, slightly forward mids, I use my AD900 when listening to 'natural', vocal music (like jazz, pop and rock). My A900Ti, because of it's (much) better bass quality (and quantity) gets used when listening to electronic music.

Quote:

I also saw a pair of ATH-AD1000PRM's for about the same price as the A900Ti's... oh the choices!

Since you already have the AD900, I wouldn't get the AD1000RPM. Sure, it would probably sound better, but I imagine it would still be quite the same nonetheless.

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you already have the AD900, I wouldn't get the AD1000RPM. Sure, it would probably sound better, but I imagine it would still be quite the same nonetheless.

oh i got neither at the moment.

I am undecided as to go open or closed. I listen to a wide variety of music from electronic to rock to classical. Which would you say is better for this scenario?

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

oh i got neither at the moment.

I am undecided as to go open or closed. I listen to a wide variety of music from electronic to rock to classical. Which would you say is better for this scenario?

For soundstage (which you'll want if you listen to a lot of classical music) you don't want to go the A900Ti-route. It has an okay soundstage, but it's nowhere even near the vastness of the AD900's soundstage. Plus, I do believe the AD900 is the more versatile headphone. It's cheaper, too.

Yes, thinking about it now, I do think the AD900 is the better headphone to get into the game. You could always get a closed headphone later to complement the AD900.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For soundstage (which you'll want if you listen to a lot of classical music) you don't want to go the A900Ti-route. It has an okay soundstage, but it's nowhere even near the vastness of the AD900's soundstage. Plus, I do believe the AD900 is the more versatile headphone. It's cheaper, too.

Yes, thinking about it now, I do think the AD900 is the better headphone to get into the game. You could always get a closed headphone later to complement the AD900.

thanks for all your help. I bought the A900Ti's today because of what I listen to more. I will get a set of open can's later to complement these. First impressions, very nice sounds coming out of the A900Ti's!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vessa
hi Panda-R
did you receive my PM
thanks

no I did not receive all 8 of your PM's. And there is no more A900Ti's because I got the last and only one I've ever come across.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #11 of 14
in my "sent box" no one was shown... sorry
have a good time with your new cans
normal_smile .gif

no I did not receive all 8 of your PM's. And there is no more A900Ti's because I got the last and only one I've ever come across.[/QUOTE]

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

thanks for all your help. I bought the A900Ti's today because of what I listen to more. I will get a set of open can's later to complement these. First impressions, very nice sounds coming out of the A900Ti's!!

Great! I hope you understood that my comment wasn't meant to keep you from getting the A900Ti, as I seriously love mine. Great headphone! And seriously underappreciated here on Head-Fi.

Keep us posted about it's sound as it's burning in. Always an interesting process to read about.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 14
So, panda-R, how do you like the ATH-A900Ti? Is it doing for you what you expected and wanted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back