Audio-technica ATH-A900 uncomfortable?
Dec 16, 2008 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SinnerG

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone find those "3D wings" on the A900 uncomfortable? I think I'm forming 2 bald spots ... I mean, 2 more bald spots ... on my head 'cos these things seem to rip into my hair. It hurts the scalp a bit.

I got a haircut today so that's made a difference.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if one could replace them with maybe a more conventional band of sorts. I like the layout of the AKG band, but ofcourse it'd mean spending money on an AKG unit just to get the band... a waste.

Would wrapping those pads on the wings in a velour material maybe be more comfortable?

I love these headphones and can't quite afford a more comfortable set. I seem to have to sit upright all the time to keep them in place and sometimes I just want to lean back in my chair with the music on and chill out a bit.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 12
I've seen that. I popped the unit open and it's just a thick spring-like wire with the ends bent inwards at 90-degrees which clip into place. I was going to cut those and shorten the loop. Still might do it, in which case I'll grab the old SONY unit's headband and run it under the metal wires.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just a bit annoying seeing as I read review after review and one fact that made me choose these was that everyone was saying they were super comfortable. They all probably had regular shaped heads.
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 12
I remember the wings on my W1000 needed some getting used to. It seemed as if the headset slipped off my head. But after a while they became very comfortable and now I hate the pressure that my Beyer DT831 cause in the middle of my head which I never did before.
My hair is average length and I also have no issues about them getting tangles in the wing.

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 12
I've never had any comfort issues with the 3D wing support system on any of my AT cans. They rest comfortably on my head and I can even lay down with them. For some there are fit issues which will require one to bend the wire headband to get a better fit.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 12
The 3d wing support didnt annoy me, there padding did tho. I just didnt like the type of padding that was used.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 12
Yeah, I think it's the padding on the wings that more annoying and uncomfortable.

They do need a bit more clamp though. I can't lie down with them. I find myself having the wings resting very far forward if I try and lean back and chill out.

I'll change the padding when I find something good to use.

Dec 17, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 12
The wings on the W1000 do look more comfortable even with the opening in the middle of them. Perhaps it is the thinner padding. There isn't a W1000 around these parts to even test.

I think it is also fast becoming time to rid myself of the pleather ear pads. The nights are starting to get up to 20C and the days now heading over 30C and the pleather definitely heats things up. And they're probably one of the reasons they slip and slide a bit. Just have to wait until the new year before ordering some leather ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back