Audio-Technica ATH-A900 or ATH-A500 (Differences? More Questions...)
Jun 4, 2004 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mi1stormilst

New Head-Fier
If I can find someone selling one of these items used I am going to grab them up been reading some good stuff about them. Primary application is going to be on my PC. I have an nVidia soundstorm audio card and need some better cans for music and games. Currently I am using some $40.00 AWIA's (YUCK) and they don't sound so hot.

Q1.) Under the circumstances are the 900's overkill?
Q2.) Will I need an amp for either?
Q3.) What are the biggest differences between these cans?
Q4.) Under these circumstances should I upgrade my sound card or buy totally different cans?

Thanks

Jun 4, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 9
Q4.) Under these circumstances should I upgrade my sound card or buy totally different cans?

Q1 - Dunno, never heard them...
Q2 - No.
Q3 - see Q1
Q4 - Both! Buy a Chaintech AV710 from newegg for $25 + New Cans.

Jun 4, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mi1stormilst

ANSWERS

Q1. under nVidia soundstorm, almost all headphones mentioned here are overkill for onboard nVidia sound.

Q2. you dont need an amp for both, since they are both are pretty much can be driven by any source.

Q3. i havent heard A500 yet, but according to lindrone, and he is quite an expert, if you are not very experienced yet, the difference isnt distinguishable.

Q4. under any circumstances, you should upgrade your onboard. usually the first thing i do when i get a PC is, if it only comes with onboard sound from motherboard, i will buy at least some sort of soundcard (eg. audigy) to power it. Onboard soundcard is a no no.
If you are going to buy soundcard, and you dont play so much FPS games, maybe you can get M-Audio internal soundcard. they are quite OK for music, but might sacrifice gaming performance.

Conclusion: If you read my previous thread before, you will see that i was having difficulties telling the difference between A900 and AD5 (that 100 dollars difference in price) using my SOny discman.

If isolation is not an issue for you, and you are planning to have a good sounding headphone that is easy to drive and doesnt cost an arm and a leg, I highly, highly recommend you getting an ATH-AD5 for 100 bucks.
it is much comfortable than A900 too.

Jun 4, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 9
I have posted a review/comparison of A500 and A900... but I don't have my bookmarks with me right now.. and search function is disabled.

I will re-post the URL here later on.

Jun 5, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't think A900 is an overkill. I do it all the time.

I don't want to sound like I'm pushing you to simply buy expensive gear. But if you found your way here (head-fi), you are most likely to upgrade later. A900s will keep you happy longer and will have a better resale and demand value.

Jun 5, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Wow I'm glad this thread came up, I'm in the same position, only I'm looking at the K501's and the A500's. I might go with the A500's since they are closed (already have some open ones) and seem to fit my music tastes better.

Although, the K501's will match up with my next Cmoy with bass boost quite well
600smile.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 9
I like the sound signature of my A500's but find that they could sound a bit better at times compared to my AKG K271's. I bought them to hear what the AT ATH headphones sound like. If I didn't have any other headphones and was sure I wasn't going to buy another headphone I would go for the A900 (I haven't heaard, them by the way), because I would be wondering if I missed out on something better. I think in the end it comes down to cost. If you are willing to speend a bit more, the A900 is probably worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back