Audio Technica ATH-A900 and Philips HP890 Availability?
Aug 12, 2004 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nospam

500+ Head-Fier
After reading all the recommendations for these headphones, I'm very interested in listening to them. Although I can get the A900 through Audiocubes.com, the HP890 is nowhere to be found in the US.

Well, it turns out my uncle will be traveling to S. Korea later this year. I am assuming he should be able to find the A900, but does anyone know if he would be able to pick up the HP890 there? If so, does anyone have an idea of what the prices would be (A900 and HP890)?

TIA

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
After reading all the recommendations for these headphones, I'm very interested in listening to them. Although I can get the A900 through Audiocubes.com, the HP890 is nowhere to be found in the US.

Well, it turns out my uncle will be traveling to S. Korea later this year. I am assuming he should be able to find the A900, but does anyone know if he would be able to pick up the HP890 there? If so, does anyone have an idea of what the prices would be (A900 and HP890)?

TIA

It is very hard to find high end headphones in Seoul/S. Korea. I looked all around in Seoul and could only find the Sennheiser HD600, selling for 800,000Won (roughly $730) as the best hi-fi headphone. This one shop in the Yongsan Subway Station had Audio Technica Air-series, but nothing of the A500/A900 sort. And even if they did the price would be jacked up to rediculously high prices. Not sure about those HP890's but again, as I said, the prices will probably be jacked up. Get some LG and Samsung stuff in S. Korea, not their imports.

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by refault
It is very hard to find high end headphones in Seoul/S. Korea. I looked all around in Seoul and could only find the Sennheiser HD600, selling for 800,000Won (roughly $730) as the best hi-fi headphone. This one shop in the Yongsan Subway Station had Audio Technica Air-series, but nothing of the A500/A900 sort. And even if they did the price would be jacked up to rediculously high prices. Not sure about those HP890's but again, as I said, the prices will probably be jacked up. Get some LG and Samsung stuff in S. Korea, not their imports.

that, is absolutely untrue............you are GREATLY mistaken.

I don't care if you read Korean or not. Just go to this site.

http://www.jounphone.co.kr/
or
http://www.headphoneshop.co.kr/

just look at the menu on the left side, and click for each headphone manufacturer's name. Where the hell did you get this stupid idea of
"It is very hard to find high end headphones in Seoul/S. Korea. "???

After doing all that currency exchange stuff,
HP-890 is about $58, and ATH A700 is $150, ATH W1000 is $435
and they are basically similar or a bit cheaper comparing to Audiocubes.com

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 15
refault, have you tried Yahoo Korea and search for headphones there?
Im sure i saw a few places selling stuffs such as Audio Technicas and stuffs before...

i cant read Korean, but im sure this and this are available in Korea...

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
that, is absolutely untrue............

How so?
blink.gif
I was there in June.

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Im sure i saw a few places selling stuffs such as Audio Technicas and stuffs before...

Yes, and I've laboriously spent my time going to about 15-20 audio shops scattered across Seoul.

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 15
Err... because you didnt go to specialty shops, but more general shops instead ? Anyway... i dont think you missed much, because the price is not as cheap as in Japan anyway... so better save up for trip to Japan next time...
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Err... because you didnt go to specialty shops, but more general shops instead ? Anyway... i dont think you missed much, because the price is not as cheap as in Japan anyway... so better save up for trip to Japan next time...
biggrin.gif

Most of them were specialty shops...

And yes, the prices in Korea are probably jacked up a lot for the headphones. I wasn't really looking for headphones there though (I looked around just out of curiosity) as I can just order them online for a cheaper price. A trip to Japan? No thanks. Unless it's free.

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 15
edited the last thread.

Quote:

biggrin.gif

What would you expect from general shops anyway....

It certainly is not cheaper than Japan, since AudioTechnica is a Japanese brand; but the price isn't any worse either, comparing to Audiocubes.com or else.

refault: I apologize for sounding rude. I just felt that there was a slight insult in your way about saying there is no high-end headphone in Korea, and I guess I slightly lost it. I hope you will understand. btw, I am from Korea, and really coudn't take that kind of insult, if you really meant it.

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

so, what did you end up getting from korea then ?

I bought my ATH A700(which I don't have anymore) and W1000 back in Korea. I was going to get Beyer DT880 and Senn HD650, but ran out of budget. Then I came to united states, and ta da!!! Headfi.org.
got my HD600 from here.

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

i cant read Korean, but im sure this and this are available in Korea...

btw, those shops you mentioned, are the General shops.

Aug 12, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
I bought my ATH A700(which I don't have anymore) and W1000 back in Korea. I was going to get Beyer DT880 and Senn HD650, but ran out of budget. Then I came to united states, and ta da!!! Headfi.org.
got my HD600 from here.

Which stores/where in S. Korea did you get the W1000's from? Maybe I missed a few good shops/don't know the area that well.

Aug 12, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks to everyone for the responses.

It sounds like if I want the A900, I should just order it from Audiocubes.com.

As for the HP890, no one has mentioned if they can be found in S. Korea. However, a co-worker will be in Italy next month, so I'll see if he can pick one up for me (assuming it's available there).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back