Audio-Technica ATH-A500's my best bet?
Apr 6, 2006 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tasty Puppy

New Head-Fier
Now that I have got my X-Fi coming (woot for BestBuys $95 sale and my $25 dollar gift card!), I want some decent headphones. I will be using them for quiet hours in my dorm room, when I dont want my music quiet. BF2 will def be in there, as well as few other games. My tax return will be enough so that I can see spending nothing over about $110. I have done a little bit of research, so lets see:

I have figured out I can get a great set of headphones, and just add on a mic, known as stay-away-from-headsets.

I want a closed pair. I will not be wearing them walking around the street. I will be using them for road trips, and when I want to get away from outside sounds.

Somewhat easy to drive. I might want to use them once in a while with my MP3 player. With the X-Fi I do not plan to spend more money on an AMP.

Reliable, and comfortable are a plus.

So with all of this in mind, are the Audio-Technica ATH-A500's my best bet? Should I save some cash and drop down to something like the Sennheiser HD280's? Would I be able to tell the difference? Are they about the same? Just wanted to know some opinions. Probably wont make a purchase for another 2 - 4 weeks. Thanks.

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 11
The A500 is great since its only 100 bucks. You wont regret buying the A500. One of the great things about the A500 is the soundstage, you can hear from every direction when your playig Fps

Apr 7, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 11
I just got the A500 about 3 weeks ago and it's AMAZING

orphsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse40902
The A500 is great since its only 100 bucks. You wont regret buying the A500. One of the great things about the A500 is the soundstage, you can hear from every direction when your playig Fps

I concur
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoSpaceBar
I don't. I think its because I made the switch from the SR-60 to the A500.

how exactly would you say the SR-60 stacked up against it?

Apr 7, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sphynx_000
how exactly would you say the SR-60 stacked up against it?

You can't really compare both headphones, they are in different leagues. The SR-60 is for those who don't have a need for isolation and demand open air sound quality.

What I suggest is to get the A500 and possibly pick up a ksc-75 by koss. That way you will get your isolation when needed, and enjoy about 85% of the grado sound through the koss's.

Apr 7, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 11
I also have the ATH-A500s; will most likely be upgrading them soon since another pair will benefit from my amp. These are great 'phones; they would seem to be your best match. I also have the KSC-75s by Koss, which to my ears have no sonic benefits over when compared with the A500s. I have not heard the Grado's, but they wouldn't match your criterion anyway.

Apr 7, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for all of your replys. Seems I did my research well. I will either splurge and get them now, or wait for taxes to get back on the 21st. Ill try to remember to report back with my reaction.

Apr 7, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasty Puppy
Thanks for all of your replys. Seems I did my research well. I will either splurge and get them now, or wait for taxes to get back on the 21st. Ill try to remember to report back with my reaction.

uh maybe u should just get the a900s used from the for sale thread. i have been regretting not doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back