Audio Technica ATH-7's (no transformer) What to do?
Apr 14, 2012 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jmmccann

New Head-Fier
Just a question. I have a mint pair of Audio Technica ATH-7's that I picked up at a yardsale for 3.00. They look like they've never been used. But the seller did not have the transformer. I'm not familiar with electrostatic headphones. Is there an alternate power supply I can purchase for these that is similar or am I stuck tracking down the original transformer?

I've had them for a few years now and I'd really like to do something with them.

Thanks,

Jeff.

May 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 11
I just pulled my ATH-7's out of their box after storage for years and years and they worked at first, but now I find that the left headphone is much lower in volume than the right.  I think it blew - although it is not distorted.

I assume that the transformer box works.  The green and red lamps flash with both channels.

If you want the transformer, let me know.

Jul 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 11
I just pulled my ATH-7's out of their box after storage for years and years and they worked at first, but now I find that the left headphone is much lower in volume than the right.  I think it blew - although it is not distorted.

I assume that the transformer box works.  The green and red lamps flash with both channels.

If you want the transformer, let me know.

Hi,

Do you still have your transformer box?

Kind Regards,
Stephen

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 11
Jeff-I wouldn't part with your--ATH7. They get a good "write -up" in -Hi -Fi Choice Year book-sensitive -could be driven to high levels.-quality of construction good-bass particularly powerful-although don't let the red warning light come on for long as that shows an overload.. Frequency response showed exceptional correlation with the trend envelope.-mid-range uniform with well extended bass free of the all too encountered "hump"[in the frequency response]   -highs smooth well extended with good output to -20KHZ. Not just as open as Stax but smooth-great clarity and high resolution of detail-fine bass depth and power. Stereo imaging was to a high standard=FR -20HZ to 20KHZ--=+/- 5DB[which is good for phones] All in all if I owned then I wouldn't be selling but would be of use as a second pair.---In the US it was also sold[ATH8] as a Signet--TK 33-the box [transformers] will work with the ATH 7.- Two models- ATH   7/8 only slight differences.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 11
I would really love to hang on to them, but ever since I bought them, I only have the headphones and not the transformer. So they are useless to me. I am desperately trying to track down a transformer so that I can enjoy them.

Jeff.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #9 of 11
Well try for a faulty Signet [US] model with a good transformer box. Even a ATH 7 thats faulty . They cant charge much for a dud headphone nobodies going to buy that unless  for spares. There must be 1000s out there because they could be driven to a high level there must be plenty of blown ear pieces. I will look around the web . You never know where you can find one. But think before you sell it about how much you would pay for an equivalent fidelity modern headphone

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 11
Doesn't time fly!

Thanks, but I finally got my transformer box working again - only to find the left earpiece is down in volume. Bugger. Using the balance contol helps, but I'd like to find a replacement.

Kind Regards

Sep 13, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #11 of 11
Well try for a faulty Signet [US] model with a good transformer box. Even a ATH 7 thats faulty . They cant charge much for a dud headphone nobodies going to buy that unless  for spares. There must be 1000s out there because they could be driven to a high level there must be plenty of blown ear pieces. I will look around the web . You never know where you can find one. But think before you sell it about how much you would pay for an equivalent fidelity modern headphone

Yes, I would hang onto them too. At least you've got half a set! I did see a set of ATH 8s some months ago on ebay in the US that were in a bit of a state and went for more than I expected.

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back