Audio-Technica AT-HA2 Headphone Amp Voltage Questions
May 14, 2002 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
I just received an Audio-Technica AT-HA2 Headphone Amp from Audio Cubes. I didn't realize that the voltage runs at 100 V instead of 110 V (US Standard). Has anyone had any experience running a 100 V amp (or any other electrical component) in the US? Will it work? Will it cause an electrical hazzard?

May 14, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
I already plugged mine in. It is up and running.
md

Have you had any problems with the different voltage?

How does it sound?

May 15, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 11
My post is here. Been on for like two hours now. No problems.
I think the Audiocubes website states that they don't sell anything that can't be used in the US.
Perhaps the moderators can merge our posts.
md

May 15, 2002 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 11
the amps got a 7812 voltage regulator in it, so it won't be affected at all unless you feed it above 35volts dc (I think it's 35V, the max input could be lower). But it's not heat sinked so it could die from a lower voltage.

The wall wart could die though, 10-20% more voltage would put it at it's upper limits, if it's low quality.

May 15, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 11
Does that mean that it should be fine as is?

Mar 5, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 11
i'm wondering if the HA-2 amp from audio-technica is good or not?

it looks very slick, and it's damn cheap compared to the ugly looking (IMO of course) air head and super minis. those amps look too plastic and homemade to deserve to be sold 100 bux US.

Mar 5, 2003 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 11
Hey guys,

can you spend a few words about the sound of the AT amp? I never heard any impressions about it!

Thanks a lot!

Nicola

Mar 5, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #9 of 11
I have a lot of electronic gadgets that I bought from Japan. I always use a converter. However, my friends plug theirs right into the wall outlet without issue. I think I'm just paranoid.
redface.gif

Btw, I'm also interested in knowing about what you think of the sound of the AT amp!
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2003 at 10:37 AM Post #10 of 11
You get what you pay for. For a first amp it's okay. But for the price I would go CHA47. It drove my AT A9X well, but the CHA47 brought out more detail. Wanna be cheap and have a nice desk amp? Or you wanna step up to the plate and get something custom made that sounds better. Do a search to read more comments.
md

Mar 5, 2003 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 11
I might have posted this somewhere esle, but basically I don't like it. It's noisy, because of a high gain opamp. With low impedence cans, the noise floor is very high and hard to ignore. It's also got a lousy, poorly tracking pot.

Avoid it if possible, but actually there isn't much available commercially at around 5000 yen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back