Audio-Technica Announces SonicFuel Earbud/Canalphone Hybrids: ATH-CHX5 and CHX7
Oct 10, 2013 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

kjk1281

1000+ Head-Fier
On October 10, Audio-Technica announced the latest entries in their globally marketed SonicFuel Series. The new ATH-CHX5 and CHX7 use a hybrid design, somewhere in between a canalphone / IEM and a traditional earbud. They don't sit as deep into the ear canal as a conventional canalphone or IEM, but they do utilize a special type of silicone ear tip to provide stability, all while still providing the open sound of a conventional earbud, the company claims.

As for the differences between the two models, the CHX5 utilizes a newly developed 13.5 mm driver in a plastic housing, and comes with a carrying pouch. Colors include black, blue, red, and white. The CHX7 has a larger 14.3 mm driver in an aluminum housing, comes with a grooved flat cable (probably similar to Sony's serrated cables), and comes with a case. The CHX7 is available in black, red, or white. Both models come with two ear tip sizes, and are also available in smartphone compatible variations in the CHX5iS and CHX7iS.

The CHX5(iS) and CHX7(iS) will be available in Japan on November 15. The CHX5 and the CHX5iS will be sold for around ¥3500 and ¥4000, respectively, while the CHX7 and CHX7iS can be purchased for about ¥6500 and ¥7000 each.

The CHX5 is available in black, blue, red, or white

The CHX7 in black, red, and white

The CHX5iS and CHX7iS (pictured) are smartphone compatible, featuring inline volume control and universal mic

Red CHX7 worn in the ear

ATH-CHX5 | ヘッドホン | 一般製品 | オーディオテクニカ

ATH-CHX7 | ヘッドホン | 一般製品 | オーディオテクニカ

オーテク、カナル×インナーイヤーのハイブリッドイヤフォン「ATH-CHX7/5」 - AV Watch

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 34
What no replies? Hybrids, hybrids, hybrids is all we hear. They are all the rage but no interest here
tongue.gif
?

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 34
It looked cool... till the pic with the worn in ear showed up. Thought it will be much smaller without looking at the specs: 13.5 & 14.3 mm drivers

But..that newly designed silicone eartips look space-age! Hopefully Audio-Technica finally improves on its mediocre eartips which probably ruined many people's experience with Audio-Technica IEMs

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 34
Perhaps specs would be of interest?  I'm sure you can translate...

CHX5:

型式:ダイナミック型
ドライバー:13.5mm
出力音圧レベル:100db/mW
再生周波数帯域:20~22,000Hz
最大入力:20mW
インピーダンス:19Ω
質量:約9g(コード除く)
プラグ:3.5mm金メッキステレオミニプラグ(L型)
コード長:1.2m(Y型)
付属品:イヤチップ(S/M) / ケース

CHX7:

型式:ダイナミック型
ドライバー:14.3mm
出力音圧レベル:100db/mW
再生周波数帯域:15~22,000Hz
最大入力:40mW
インピーダンス:16Ω
質量:約12g(コード除く)
プラグ:3.5mm金メッキステレオミニプラグ(L型)
コード長:1.2m(Y型)
付属品:イヤチップ(S/M) / ケース

It's an interesting design and they're cheap enough, I might try them if/when they get released here.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 34
It looked cool... till the pic with the worn in ear showed up. Thought it will be much smaller without looking at the specs: 13.5 & 14.3 mm drivers

But..that newly designed silicone eartips look space-age! Hopefully Audio-Technica finally improves on its mediocre eartips which probably ruined many people's experience with Audio-Technica IEMs

I don't think the new tips are meant to replace the standard eartips. These seem to be specifically developed to have less of a seal and shallower insertion depth when compared to conventional silicone tips.

Specs:

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 34
The CHX series is supposed to be a hybrid design, unifying elements of IEMs / canalphones and traditional earbuds. I would assume that the eartips do provide some isolation, but since they don't go into the ear as deeply, the noise suppression wouldn't be high as an IEM / canalphone. However, because of the comparative lack of seal, the CHX earphones should theoretically provide a more open sound. Whether this really works or not remains to be seen. I'd really like to get a pair (probably sometime early next year once the price goes down), but I'm waiting to see if the good folks in Stow, Ohio are going to announce these for the U.S. market. I'd rather not import if I don't have to.

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #10 of 34
I'm assuming these will work as straight ear buds if you choose as well. With the added bit of shield the outer housing provides they might be good as buds and the tips may be able to fit on other buds you may have.

Oct 18, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 34
My the fit and finish on that front screen and surround is awfully Cresyny looking to me...
np447_img24l.jpg

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 34
Well that was unexpected. Not really! :p

I think the CHX7 might kill two birds: it'll give me an earbud similar to the Cresyn C500E that I've been wanting to try, and I'll get a chance to see what these AT hybrid earbud/canalphone tips are all about. I'm hoping they sell the tips separately as well.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 34
Got the ATH-CHX7iS at Yodobashi Osaka about a week ago since I was looking for something to use while running.
I was a little surprised at their size. Here's me wearing them: http://imgur.com/94oRMIx

In terms of the sound signature, it's on the warm side but not overly so. There's roll off on both ends, making the sound sort of mid-centric but it doesn't give the impression that it lacks bass. The KSC75 and Sportapro have deeper bass, but that's to be expected given the driver size. As least it's well-controlled. The soundstage isn't overly wide, but there's a decent impression of depth although frequencies apart from the midrange do get a little fuzzy. No painful treble spikes either like the SJ55.

I love the tips though! They do a great job sticking in my ears while running, and there's little to no cable noise. They also keep sweat from getting in the drivers. The cable is nice too, being flat and with little ridges similar to the Sony C10ip. I'd rather have a full 3-button volume control though instead of a volume slider and one-button mic control.

Compared to the ATH-CKM500, the CKM500 has significantly more bass, and the CHX7iS sounds more open. The treble quality is more of less the same. Sound isolation on the CHX7 is non-existent, which in my case is good because I don't want to be deaf while running out in the open.

Again, despite my criticisms, they don't suck and are decent for the prize. They're good at what they do and the build quality is pretty good. In terms of their stock sound, I like these better than ibuds which tend to be overly warm in stock form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back