Audio Technica Air Dynamic Love!!!
Sep 12, 2007 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ruckus

Post here if your favorite headphone is an AT Air Dynamic.

Me I love the AD900.

My next headphone when I have a better source will be the AD2000.

I just love that I don't need an amp and only need to focus on improving the source.

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm sure if you have the money or willing to spend the money, Amp is always good.

It seems from all the reviews I read, these Air Dynamics from AT don't improve much with Amps. Its better to upgrade the source, source improves the sound more.

ATM my source is not great, so when I upgrade my headphones to AD2000, I'll be looking to improve my source, whether its soundcard or home system, not the Amp.

Also I know that you have some amazing gear for your headphones, as demonstrated by your pics. So I'm sure your setup does improve, but if I was to get an amp on my budget, just wouldn't make sense.

Elephas' incredible inventory of headphones and headphone setup.
HeadphonesGroup.jpg

3ATs3Amps1DAC.jpg

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need a top-level source for the AD2000. Just get one now and be done with it.
evil_smiley.gif

+1. The AD2000 sounds very nice out of everything. Dont throw your money away on a source or amp. Get the AD2000 first
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 14
More posts!!

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 14
Great thread

ASR, Elephas...
What would you recommend for a DAC and amp for the AD2000, (total budget under 1000$)
I love the AD2000 for jazz and electronica, for its detail and soundstage, and would like to maintain/enhance those chatacteristics as much as possible while adding a bit of warmth and low-end impact to the sound.

I'd be very interested in your experiences with getting the best out of an AD2000.

I'm using a PC source.

Many thanks

Sep 14, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 14
I would recommend a solid state DAC, possibly leaning towards the bright side (DAC1 comes to mind), and pair that with a full bodied and dynamic tube amp that has a lot of current. Such as the Singlepower SLAM amps for example.

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphonesGroup.jpg

Is that heaven I see?

Sep 14, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 14
AD2000 fan here, I can't wait to get them back from enigma audio with the oracle cable installed

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 14
I used to have the AD900, does that count?

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thread
... I love the AD2000 for jazz and electronica, for its detail and soundstage, and would like to maintain/enhance those chatacteristics as much as possible while adding a bit of warmth and low-end impact to the sound...

Get a W5000, and 840C!

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

What would you recommend for a DAC and amp for the AD2000, (total budget under 1000$)

Maybe a used Lavry DA10 or Benchmark DAC1?

I've only heard the standard DAC1, not the newer USB version. The USB version should be a good choice for a PC source, no need for a digital out on the PC.

The G&W AT-F100 amp at US$220 is a good deal, I think.

Sep 14, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Great thread

ASR, Elephas...
I love the AD2000 for jazz and electronica, for its detail and soundstage, and would like to maintain/enhance those chatacteristics as much as possible while adding a bit of warmth and low-end impact to the sound.

I'd be very interested in your experiences with getting the best out of an AD2000.

I'm using a PC source.

Many thanks

I don't have much experience with good amps for the AD2000, let alone DACs. It's kinda tricky achieving sonic synergy with them. My two favorite amps with it were the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite (increased the energetic & forward factor) and the HeadAmp GS-X (increased detail and bass realism but way out of your price range). Some of the popular DAC/amps around here like the Benchmark DAC1 or Lavry DA10 might work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back