Audio Technica AD900 REVIEW (and compared to HD595)
Apr 1, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #31 of 36
Addressing the question of the style of these headphones vs. Sennheisers:
I feel like the HD595s put a "veil" between you and the music. That may sound more accurate compared to 5th row seats in a concert hall, but I couldn't stand that veil!

In my opinion that is the only reason why someone should consider the HD595's over the AD900s - if you really like that "veil" and don't like the upfront presentation of the AD900s.

In my opinion, I prefer to feel like I am standing right in front of the recording studio (ad900) and the detail that comes with it rather than in the middle of a concert hall (HD595). Would you rather buy tickets to a regular concert or tickets to watch a recording in a studio?
The only time I might prefer the "veiled" style of the HD595s is when i am reading or something and would rather have the music sound like its coming from another room than right in front of me/around me.

And about that comment "the AD900s lack that "boom" that puts a lot of detail in bass"--what headphones give you that deep, quality, detailed, yet still have that "boom"?? I would want to try them.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #32 of 36
Its not as simple as liking the ad900s more than the 595s because of the "veil". Although I dont like that subdued sound making the 595s seem a little veiled, there are some instruments that just sound better with senns and the other way around. An acoustic guitar guy might like the ad900s better while a clarinet player might like the 595s vice versa and enless combinations. It all depends on what you are focusing at the time you are listening to the music plus your personal taste.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #33 of 36
Different music genres have different requirements. Bass is nowhere near as important with classical/orchestral as with rock/electronica. What is important is a flat frequency response and lack of colouration. To someone used to a phone like the AD900 this may sound like a veil, but to those who attend regular symphony concerts and don't sit in the front row, the AD900 may sound like it did to me--a nice phone with the amp's treble control turned full up. I had a similar reaction with the Denon AD2000, AKG 701 and Beyer DT880 Pro. (You may be able to spot a pattern here). All this may explain why I once posted that I couldn't abide any headphone that didn't have "Sennheiser" printed on it, though that may be a slight exaggeration.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Different music genres have different requirements. Bass is nowhere near as important with classical/orchestral as with rock/electronica. What is important is a flat frequency response and lack of colouration. To someone used to a phone like the AD900 this may sound like a veil, but to those who attend regular symphony concerts and don't sit in the front row, the AD900 may sound like it did to me--a nice phone with the amp's treble control turned full up. I had a similar reaction with the Denon AD2000, AKG 701 and Beyer DT880 Pro. (You may be able to spot a pattern here). All this may explain why I once posted that I couldn't abide any headphone that didn't have "Sennheiser" printed on it, though that may be a slight exaggeration.
smily_headphones1.gif

I completely disagree. Those timpani are there for a reason you know.
wink.gif
Just try and imagine listening to Mahler without bass -- there would be no emotion! Nay, bass is just as important to classical as it is to rock and electronica.
L3000.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #36 of 36
audio technica is probably the most accurate,balance as the mids,,highs and lows go side by side not one overpowering the others.i have a sennheiser hd 650,ultrasone edition 8.beyerdynamics dt 990 pro,audio technica ath-ad900 and m50.my ultrasone has a better,slightly soundstage than my ad900 but my edition 8 cost  5x more.i listen to my ad900 5 hrs. a day and completely forget about my other cans.it's like having a good quality set of speakers in your head.the music that comes out of this ad900 is just beyond amazing,i agree with you it does not require amp because it sounds good w/o amp but be warn with the right amp you will be immersed with the quality of music you have not heard with other phones.enjoy your ad900 with fiio e11 amp just $62.00 to start and you might find yourself wanting more expensive amp.ad900 is the real deal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back