Audio Technica AD700 vs A700 (unamped)
Oct 24, 2009 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ductrung3993

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all, as the title said, I want to compare these these 2 cans, mostly on sound quality and comfort, isolation would be a nice plus
tongue_smile.gif

For me, I pretty much listen to all kind of music so I want a all arounder and there wont be things like amp and recable since I'm a complete noob
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for any info
atsmile.gif

PS: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ath...-ad700-270994/
I have take a look at this thread but apparently there wasn't enough info so I created this new one
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 8
If isolation is important to you, the AD700 probably isn't a good bet. They sound great, but being open headphones, they don't isolate the noise around you much.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 8
I had the AD700's for about 2 months. They were amazing for games - imaging, soundstage, good mids.....highs were a bit bright for my taste on music. Bass is on the very light side for my tastes, so I sold them. Overall they were comfy, but very very loose, so sometimes they would start to slide down my head (I also have an ABOVE average size head). They do not have pivot adjustments like most headphones. I recently bought a set of A700's. There is much more bass than the AD's, and it is moderatly clean for there price. Mids and highs are OK....not nearly as clean as the AD's. To me they have a tinny sound, probably because they are closed. I should note that I had a pair of sealed Denon D2000's that I thought sounded similiar in regards to being "tinny". Long story short I do not like my A700's. The AD700's have NO sound isolation, the A700's have a little bit. If I could only have one pair of "inexpensive" headphones I would pick the AD700's over the A700's. But neither would be my choice now. For a few bucks more, I would check out the ATH-M50's.....they seem much more regarded than the A700's for a sealed headphone. Or for a modest step in price from those the senn HD595's I recently gave away. This is of course just my taste in sound. Many people on this site seem to prefer the AD700's sound to the HD595's. Sorry that was so long.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 8
My boys prefer the closed A700 for the bass, and the isolation. No, they are not specifically "isolating" but they work well on school buses and at the library.

They are easy to drive from a laptop or iPod without an amp.

Mostly, they want to not hear me when we are driving in the car.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Comfort: I think the AD700 would have the edge with cloth pads compared to pleather. The pleather isn't that nice on skin in the summer, and it squeaks against your glass frames (if you have glasses). That's the only advantage between the two. I find the 3D-Wing system to be very nice, with almost no clamping force.

Isolation: A700's isolation isn't great, but there's some. 20dB, maybe?

Fit: You shouldn't have a problem with them, unless you have a small head. For reference, my head's about a foot wide.

Sound quality: It's more of a matter with sound signature, and the difference between open and closed. If you compared the A700 to the MS1, you'd immediately see that the A700s mids are recessed in comparison, but bass is heavier and treble is brighter/more prominent. Soundstage would probably go to the AD700, and the A700 having some soundstage (I'd rate it at about "1 foot on either side of my head", where the MS1 is "inside my head almost completely").

You'll probably find the A700 more enjoyable for electronica (I find the bass kick and treble is essential for dance, whereas the mids don't need to be superb). On the other hand, I found the MS1 more enjoyable for anything involving vocals, rock, and instrumental music (ie. Baroque/Classical/etc.) because of the forward mids (lending strength to instruments and vocals), and midbass/forward presentation for electric guitars (and specifically, bass guitars. I like picking out bass lines for fun.). The AD700s might be more "limited" (don't think that they can't do it at all, just that they can't do it as well) to vocals and instrumental if the bass is as light as some people say it is. Ultimately, the difference is small, and probably wouldn't bother you any which way you go. You might notice "oh, that doesn't quite sound the same", or "man, there should be a bass drum right now", but it's not like you'll trash the headphones. You just might get a different pair instead.

Most of this is relative to each other; I'm sure the A700 is pretty light on bass already, but I've become accustomed to it and find it "just right" now.

You could also look at the Shure SRH440 and AT M50 as closed headphones, and the HD555, K240S and MS1 for open headphones.

Between the A700 and MS1, I find all my music needs covered at that price point. I prefer the A700 for gaming because of the sound stage and bass response.

And finally, take everything with a grain of salt, and realize the differences most people talk about are small (yet noticeable), and nowhere near night and day.

(Everytime there's an A700 thread, I feel the need to chime in. Maybe it is my duty as one of few (many) A700 owners.)

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 8
The A700 heave recessedmids that just seemed wrong to me. The AD700 have slightly recessed mids but sound very nice and the mids work very well with the sound stage of the headphones.

Out of the two phones I MUCH prefer the AD700 over A700, the bass may not be as boomy on the AD700 but it's present and very clean.

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 8
So generally the AD700 is better than the A700
happy_face1.gif
But then I'm worrying about the fit now since my head's only about 2/3 foot in width
frown.gif
And I heard that the AD700's pad can also be itchy right? Meanwhile I will do some research about the M50 and SRH440 vs SRH840
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 8
I have a smaller head so had to work get the AD700 to fit nicely, they and the AD900 are still loose on my head so not great walking around with but they are great for sitting down.

I don't have any issues with the velour covers being itchy but that may just be me. You can also switch the cover with certain other ATH covers but that can be expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back