Audio Technica AD700 - Repaint, Hirose Recabling, Mic Mod
Apr 17, 2017 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Kinyin

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of AD700 as my first foray into higher quality audio and immediately fell in love. The paint scheme, however, was just... unfortunate. I decided to repaint them and tried doing a microphone mod years ago, but the RadioShack parts didn't hold up well and my own soldering skills were frankly embarrassing.

I decided it's time to start over and take it all a step further.

I've spent many weeks planning this out, tweaking it, finding and fixing mistakes, etc. Originally I had planned to simply use 3.5mm connectors throughout this project, but finding quality sockets to fit within the headphones was challenging and with all of the work I was putting into this I didn't like the idea of using some random eBay parts from China.

It was a week later that someone mentioned "Hirose' connectors and I was immediately hooked. Definitely a bit pricier, but it had the quality I was looking for and set the headphones apart.

It was extremely stressful cutting, drilling, and dremeling into headphones I had painted already, but it paid off. I've fallen in love all over again. It might not be the best headset out there, but it's my first and not only have I enjoyed them for listening pleasure, but tinkering around with them has helped me hone my skills further.

Parts List:

1. Mogami W2983
  2. HR10A-7R-4S(74) x2
  3. HR10A-7P-4P(74) x2
  4. HR10A-7P-4S(74) x1
  5. HR10A-7J-4P(74) x1
  6. Amphenol KS3PC-AU x2

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Back