Audio Technica AD700 for the Cheapest Price
Jun 6, 2009 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

hurryup

500+ Head-Fier
Where can I find a good deal on the AT AD700? Amazon has it for 90 or so dollars, but it used to have them for $68.
L3000.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 36
i got mine off of amazon...but the seller sent me the wrong ones and it took an extra 2.5 weeks to get to me
mad.gif
but it all worked out ...just check amazon everyday...sellers r always changing the price on them...good luck...put it on ur wish list

Jun 6, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsjustwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got mine off of amazon...but the seller sent me the wrong ones and it took an extra 2.5 weeks to get to me
mad.gif
but it all worked out ...just check amazon everyday...sellers r always changing the price on them...good luck...put it on ur wish list

Thanks for the advice. *added to wishlist*
L3000.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 36
This thread some kind of running gag now?

I used to think anything over $20 was too much for headphones. You know what, I don't grudge a single dollar in the $97 I paid for my AD700.

I still think the people who buy more expensive headphones are complete tools but it's not like it's my problem. I feel the same way about the people who do those over priced SLI setups to squeeze out an extra 5 fps but, again, it's not my concern how others waste their money. If a person wants to spend $500 on a $5 cable, that's their own problem. If they weren't wasting their money on one thing it'd be another because that's just how fools are.

Tell me, how much time have you been without experiencing the headphones you want and how difficult it would have been to save up $90 in that time? I'm sure that you can keep playing the waiting game and some day, you will find that sale price you want. It may take you a few years as you wait for the demand to slow down but you'll save that epic $22. After all, that's the price of a pizza dinner but you'd still have to pick it up because it's too cheap for them to deliver it.

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread some kind of running gag now?

I used to think anything over $20 was too much for headphones. You know what, I don't grudge a single dollar in the $97 I paid for my AD700.

I still think the people who buy more expensive headphones are complete tools but it's not like it's my problem. I feel the same way about the people who do those over priced SLI setups to squeeze out an extra 5 fps but, again, it's not my concern how others waste their money. If a person wants to spend $500 on a $5 cable, that's their own problem. If they weren't wasting their money on one thing it'd be another because that's just how fools are.

Tell me, how much time have you been without experiencing the headphones you want and how difficult it would have been to save up $90 in that time? I'm sure that you can keep playing the waiting game and some day, you will find that sale price you want. It may take you a few years as you wait for the demand to slow down but you'll save that epic $22. After all, that's the price of a pizza dinner but you'd still have to pick it up because it's too cheap for them to deliver it.

that's quite a buzzkill!

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 36
You may think me standing on a soapbox looking down but we are all fools with our money. It's just that some are greater fools than others. I'm the kind of fool who considers $100 my limit for headphones. Anything beyond that limit isn't worth it to me. I only expanded my limit beyond $20 because the $20 ones are uncomfortable enough for me to consider them unwearable.

The only reason the nice headphones are as expensive as they are is because people will pay that price for them. If no one bought them, they wouldn't cost that much. The price fluctuations are a good representation of this. If people universally refused to pay over a certain amount for an item, you would never see anything priced above that amount.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #14 of 36
Shouldn't we just raise some money and get him an ATH-AD700 to put these sorts of threads to rest?

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason the nice headphones are as expensive as they are is because people will pay that price for them. If no one bought them, they wouldn't cost that much. The price fluctuations are a good representation of this. If people universally refused to pay over a certain amount for an item, you would never see anything priced above that amount.

They also likely wouldn't have put in the R&D to develop them. There are upfront costs, and then there are costs of production. After the R&D is done, a headphone company makes money for every pair they sell over the cost of production. So you can see prices go as low as prouction costs + transaction costs + distribution costs. However, if say Sennheiser knew they'd only get production costs + transaction costs + distribution costs, they wouldn't pour any money into R&D, as they'd be losing money then.

What you typically see is the company selling for a large amount upfront, to make sure they recover their R&D costs. The R&D costs are covered by the "early adopters" who just have to be on the leading edge of technology and will gladly pay more to be on the leading edge. Later, after the R&D costs are covered, you'll see the price drop to near the cost of production + a reasonable profit. The funny part is that the headphone maker is usually operating at a loss until well into the period where they have lowered the price. But they'd likely never get out of the red if they spent as much on R&D as they do, but still sold at the lower price.

So yes, again, as always, you get what you pay for. If nobody was willing to pay $1,400 for the HD800, we probably wouldn't have an HD800, we'd have a marginally refreshed HD600. If people hadn't been willing to pay $200 for an AD700 a few years ago, we probably wouldn't have an AD700, we'd have a basically generic headphone that made no real advances over its predecessors. It's those "fools" as you like to call them that allow you to get such an astounding deal on the AD700. When you take into the total cost of production, including R&D, it likely cost more than $97 to make your AD700, you just got lucky that many others have already paid for the R&D portion of that cost and now you only have to pay the production costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back