Audio Technica A900s or Sennheiser HD25s for metal?
Mar 28, 2006 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

josh files

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am interested in these two cans. They will be used mainly for metal. They will be used portably, stored in my bag so I would need them to be durabile. I know that the A900s aren't meant for portability, but any headphone is portable
smily_headphones1.gif
Shipping to over here is rather expensive, so the A900s are actually a little cheaper. Thanks for your help.

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #4 of 11
Hmm couldn't you get an MS2i or SR-325i for that price? They are susposed to be great for metal, however they are open, so they leak sound out and let sound in. Trust me, you don't want to wear the A900 outside (they are ******* huge). It would also probably break if you shoved it in a bag.

Mar 28, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by josh files
After shipping they would be around $230. Why wouldn't I want to use a A900 outside?

You should wear them in public, it would be the funniest thing ever. I hope you live near me, and go for walks often.

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 11
FWIW: I've seen a guy wearing the A500 (same structure as A900) around campus. I thought they looked pretty cool and kinda sophisticated. No worse than any of the Bose or Sony "DJ" headphones you see regularly. I even complimented him on his "nice headphones".
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:31 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by josh files
After shipping they would be around $230. Why wouldn't I want to use a A900 outside?

They are huge! And not really neckable from what I've seen. The HD-25 is very neckable, you just pull the cups downwards, they will not strangle you.
They are also very durable. If I were you I would read up on the HD-25, especially all the possible mods (They are nice rock cans if you defoam them), and then maybe consider ordering them from Germany (Thoman.de has them and all the modding material too, dunno if they ship to the US).

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 11
I have the A900s, and seriously, these aren't made for Metal music (in my opinion). They don't suck at it, but to my ears they don't do Metal well; at least, not the way an average metalhead likes it.

The sonic signature of the A900s is such that it has relatively lesser mids than the average cans, and this turns most metalheads off since the palm-muted chugs will sound less powerful (the lowmids). I don't know, but it is either that they are recessed in midrange, or most other cans have a midrange boost.

The A900s are, however, great for detail, so if you would like to hear well recorded, mixed and mastered albums, these cans will do it. A good example of such an album will be Opeth - Damnation. In the album there are fewer of those chugging rhythm riffs and the entire mix is crystal clear, with lots of atmospheric keyboards background. These cans shine on it.

If you are, say, an In Flames fan, those riffs will somehow sound a little lacking in power, although the entire overall sound is still crystal clear.

These are of course, just my opinions. So, choose your headphones wisely.

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony
How about the AKG K81DJ? It's semi-portable, durable, cheap, and rivals the sound quality of atleast the HD25.

Also its very fast, plenty bass, great mids, punchy, great for drums and guitars, much more enjoyable soundstage than the hd25.. just a few things
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 11
Unless you want stares don't contemplate wearing the A900s outside. They are not 'neckable' and probably wouldn't appreciate being stuffed in a bag.

They'd take up a lot of bag-room too, yes don't get the ATs. You'd unzip your bag one afternoon and be greeted with the sickening sight of them being in two parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back