Audio Technica: A900 and AD700
Jun 4, 2008 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SoundsGood

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the strengths of each of these 'phones compared to each other. I would be using them mainly for listening to music - 99% classical. Sources would be my home system out a receiver, my laptop (Mac PowerBook G4 PowerPC) and my iAudio X5L (and hopefully soon a Samsung P2).

I know I'm comparing a closed phone to an open phone, so I'm aware of those types of differences. But, I am wondering which of these sounds the best (since there is such a price difference) with classical music. I've read many good reviews of both. All listening would be unamped.

I haven't quite decided if I want to go open or closed yet. I would be using these 'phones from home.

Many thanks.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 9
ART900 are superb on classical straight out of an iPod. Even better when fitted with W5000 leather earpads.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 9
I like the A900 more for my music, but I think the bigger soundstage and cleaner(but weaker) bottom end of the AD700 will suit classical music better. A900 IMO also sounds less natural than AD700 because of its less than good midrange and closed construction.

Jun 4, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 9
How about settling for a nice pair of ESW9's? =D

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 9
I love my A900 for classical music, as well as laid back jazz. And they work wonders with Messhuggah too. The bonus for me is the closed construction, as I use them a lot when the rest of the family is wathcing TV. Listening to the AD700 in the shop, but decided on to go with the A900 for the qualities it got.

Jun 6, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the opinions. It seems they both have very good qualities to them, so perhaps it's down to which phone I can get for the best price! I have really wanted to try the ESW9, but they are a bit too expensive for me. They look like an amazing portable headphone.

Jun 6, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 9
if i listen more to classical music i would keep my HD650. They are simply amazing!! And i think they are even better for jazz. If i could afford expensive headphones i wouldnt sell them only because of how reat they are with both genres. Just something else to consider...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back