Audio-Technica 900x - Disappointing
Jan 14, 2021 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

SyCoREAPER

New Head-Fier
Am I alone in thinking the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x are a bit lackluster and boring?

I got tired of using my Sennheiser HD598 as beaters but didn't want to use my ATH-AD900 as beaters so I went with the 900x since the originals are discontinued. They aren't bad, but they aren't great. They sound somewhere in between the HD598 and AD900. To me they have less Soundstage and the sound signature is different (colorful), I knew they would be from the reviews, but different as in not very A-T. And the build quality is significantly worse.

I'm honestly on the fence on keeping them. Does anyone else here have both the original 900 as well as 900x? What are your thoughts? Am I being a hard head and just not being open to their sound or are they genuinely not as good?

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 2
Well I bought some third-party (don't want to advertise) earpads which are both thicker and made from microsuede. While it still doesn't sound as good, it sounds better. Having the speakers not be so close to my ears along with slight sound isolation from the different material, the sound signature has changed enough that I like them more. It could be in my head but an A-B test was done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back