Audio Technic W5000 Break-in?
Feb 16, 2008 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

dcstep

100+ Head-Fier
I just purchased a used set of W5000s and was wondering how much break in time they need to really get musical. What changes do most note as they break in?

Thanks,

Dave

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 41
If it's used with decent amount of time on it, burn-in (break-in is the wrong term) should not be an issue. Let's just hope you have a good amp to drive it
biggrin.gif
it's pretty picky about its amps

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's used with decent amount of time on it, burn-in (break-in is the wrong term) should not be an issue. Let's just hope you have a good amp to drive it
biggrin.gif
it's pretty picky about its amps

I've got a Woo WA6, so I don't think there's an issue with my amp. (If the ATs can't work with the Woo they're out the door).

Actually, due to the mechanical components "break in" is my preferred term. I burn in cables and break in speakers and cans.

What would be a "decent amount of time?"

Frankly I'm asking the question because my AKG K701s (100-hours) and UE Triple.fi Pros (only 10 hours) are blowing the W5000s into the weeds. Given the reviews here, I had high expectations of the W5000s and thought that they might serve as my full-sized, closed cans. Many people say that the 701s need 300-hours and I haven't found that to be the case at all. I'm wondering if the ATs need that much. I haven't seen it mentioned here before, but there's so much volume here that I might have missed it.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 41
K701s require the most of time of break-in I know of in headphones, as mine are at around 800 hours and finally showing its full potential.
AT's require good 200 hrs or so, as with most other cans.
Maybe W5000s are not to your liking - they're completely different 'phones from K701s so you might not be used to them.
For example, after I tried K701s for a while, HD600s and HD650s just sound "not right" for me, even when balanced - too much bass and not enough detail.

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by dspargo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Five days of pink noise will do it

If you really weren't impressed with a pair to begin with, burn-in shouldn't make a phone magically better than before. Even the most burn-in effect feels like only 5~10% in increase...

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really weren't impressed with a pair to begin with, burn-in shouldn't make a phone magically better than before. Even the most burn-in effect feels like only 5~10% in increase...

Well, right now they've got a pretty ugly, unmusical glare (to me) over the highs. If that won't go away, then I'll not be able to use them.

Lots of people claim that the 701 really totally transform from unlistenable to great. I found them good on day-one and they mainly gained bass solidity with time, not changing their overall character. The Triple.fis were great right out of the box, but I suspect they'll smooth just a little with time. I mainly use them when I fly or mess with recordings, which isn't that much, so it'll take a while.

I may run the W5000s a few days and try to listen again after that to see if they're improving. Hopefully the seller can give me a report as to the hours on them soon. (If they've already got 100+ hours I may just put them up for sale. One thing I've learned is there's always someone that loves every can. These are highly reviewed and I would offer them at a good price. We'll see...

Thanks again guys,

Dave

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
300 hours was the ACCEPTED B/I, W5000 days. You have to believe.

Sorry Ken, but the "W5000 days" in your response confused me.
confused.gif
Are you saying that the W5000 B/I is days of normal use, or 300-hours of applied B/I?

Thanks,

Dave

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 41
They definitely don't have glaring or masked highs. I also don't think they really require much burn in, but let them run and see what happens.

I would try to make sure you are getting a proper fit. Have you bent the headband?

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 41
They're playing piink noise right now. I'll let them do that for 48 hours or so and see if they're changing at all.

I've got a big head and I doubt I'll need to bend the bands (a funking design, BTW). Still, I'll consider that after more B/I.

I'm also trying to get 300-hours on my new speaker cables (Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval 8) so it's a convenient time to work on the cans also.

Thanks,

Dave

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 41
It's not so much how big your head is/isn't, but how it's shaped...

I have what is considered a small head but the cans fit me perfectly. That being said, I do not remember my W5000's signficantly changing during/after burn-in (or break-in, if you prefer that term). The W5000s just might not be to your liking.

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They definitely don't have glaring or masked highs.

I didn't say mine were "masked" but they are certainly glaring and hard in the highs. We'll see what happens with time.

Dave

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have what is considered a small head but the cans fit me perfectly. That being said, I do not remember my W5000's signficantly changing during/after burn-in (or break-in, if you prefer that term). The W5000s just might not be to your liking.

Could be, but I want to give the a fair chance just in case they do need B/I. It IS funny that most say that the 701s are unlistenable out of the box and need 300-hours before they open up, yet I didn't find that to be the case. Now I've got the W5000s (used) and no one talked about B/I as an issue, yet if I'm going to like them they'll need to change.

Dave

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #15 of 41
We are apparently of the exact same opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have several hundred hours on my W5000, yet my Beyer DT880 600Ω -straight out of the box- still blew the W5000 to smithereens.

I also had really high expectations for the W5000 but was overall pretty disappointed - and still am. Since I bought the DT880's, the W5000 have a steady position serving as paper weights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a Woo WA6, so I don't think there's an issue with my amp. (If the ATs can't work with the Woo they're out the door).

Actually, due to the mechanical components "break in" is my preferred term. I burn in cables and break in speakers and cans.

What would be a "decent amount of time?"

Frankly I'm asking the question because my AKG K701s (100-hours) and UE Triple.fi Pros (only 10 hours) are blowing the W5000s into the weeds. Given the reviews here, I had high expectations of the W5000s and thought that they might serve as my full-sized, closed cans. Many people say that the 701s need 300-hours and I haven't found that to be the case at all. I'm wondering if the ATs need that much. I haven't seen it mentioned here before, but there's so much volume here that I might have missed it.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back