Audio Techinca AT-PL120: good lower-cost turntable?
Aug 30, 2008 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

steelglam

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have an Audio Technica AT-PL120 and/or have any opinions on it? I know it's not as good as a Technics 1200, but is good for its price and a solid unit to have?

Sep 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelglam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have an Audio Technica AT-PL120 and/or have any opinions on it? I know it's not as good as a Technics 1200, but is good for its price and a solid unit to have?

It's not that much cheaper than a Technics but it's obviously aimed at the DJ market judging by the me-too design. If you want a DJ type turntable I would go for Technics or Vestax. For Hi-Fi use Technics is well supported with upgrades but you might find a 2nd hand Vestax cheaper as they don't seem to hold their value as well as SL1200s. Too many different model numbers to confuse the consumer like most Japanese gear probably.

If you don't want to spend more than a few hundred USD then it's much better to go 2nd hand as you get much better build quality with vintage decks at this pricelevel and a turntable is primarily a mechanical device so that's what counts the most. Here is a list I made in an old thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/low...source-228059/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back