audio tapes into MP3 conversion!
Oct 8, 2010 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GuruTech

100+ Head-Fier
hey all!
 i have plenty of audio tapes and i want to convert those songs into mp3 format so that i may enjoy them on PC as well. Is this somehow possible? Can you explain that to me? Thanks in advance.

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
hey all!
 i have plenty of audio tapes and i want to convert those songs into mp3 format so that i may enjoy them on PC as well. Is this somehow possible? Can you explain that to me? Thanks in advance.

Sure you get a quality Tape deck, connect the line outputs to your sound interfaces line input and use some software to record the streams and edit them.
Sound interface could be a internal soundcard, external ADC..etc.
You will have to find some software for the recording and you will need to do atleast basic editing, such as noise removal and amplification to get the tracks to the proper levels.
Once the tracks are recorded and edited the way you want you can compress them anyway you want.

Oct 9, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 10
Your best bet is picking up a nice tape deck used. Make sure it is in working order or have checked out by a tech. I like Akai, Tascam and Marantz decks. Stay away from Nak decks as they aren't the most universally compatible decks. Make sure it is working and adjust the azimuth correctly for each tape you transfer. After each transfer, make sure you clean the head of the deck for any dust that may have been stuck on while the transfer was being done.

To transfer it to the computer you will need a ADC. I think the EMU-0404 USB is a great choice but there are others as well. Stay away from the ion crap as it really is crap.

Tape transfers can sometimes be the easiest things to do. Other times, they can nearly cause a brain hemorrhage. Trust me....I've done a few in my time.

EDIT: If you are going to go through the trouble of doing this, you may want to keep your back-up files as WAV or FLAC. MP3 conversion can sometimes make cassette transfers sound real bad if the remastering was improperly done.

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks a lot guys! Thanks a million for your help.
I really appreciate all of your Ideas  
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys! Thanks a million for your help.
I really appreciate all of your Ideas  
wink.gif

Make sure you post samples!

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 10

labrat said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

You need an ADC device:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog-to-digital_converter

These are not too difficult to find, if you look around on the Internet or in a well equipped computer/HiFi store.
From then on, I believe most available rippers for compressing to MP3 should do the trick.
Or if the ADC comes with it's own s/w to install, it should have this feature!
Pinnacle had equipment like this, if you look for second-hand/used.

It's quite useful, Thanks for your explanation! It is exactly what I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back