Audio system upgrade
Nov 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kaidao

New Head-Fier
Hi, new member here. I've lurked around a lot and finally decided to join. Anyways, I'm looking to upgrade my speakers from the Samson studiodock 4i monitors I have right now. It'll be solely for my desktop computer in a room about 17x13 in size. I listen to all kinds of music, except country really. Also I can't have too much bass...I've already got some noise complaints. I'm really looking for nice, clear sound.

Right now the Samsons are directly connected to my pc through USB. I currently don't have a sound card in my computer. So I'm looking to upgrade my audio system with about 300$, but I'm flexible on the price if it's a vast improvement.

I know I want a dac or amp (what's the difference?) so I can upgrade later on if I want. Would I still need a sound card? And also what monitors should I get? The audioengine a5's seem nice but are a little pricey. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 9
My friend uses the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 with a pair of M-Audio AV-40 powered speakers. There's not a lot of bass but the sound is very clear and musical. Seems like a similar setup to what you have. I don't see how to replace your system for less than $200 but you might consider an internal sound card to upgrade the sound with your current speakers.

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 9
Would an internal sound card help with my current speakers? I think the speakers themselves have a sound card, that's why it's plugged in through USB. It would override any onboard sound card I have. I was looking more for recommendations about good monitor/DAC combos or anything. Like I said, my budget's around 300 dollars but I'm willing to go over for a good setup.

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 9
The A5s would be good, and because it comes with everything you need... Your done!

If you were willing to spend more, the ALO Padnda speakers, and say a small inexpensive amp from trends, or kingrex would go a long way towards better sound. Pair this with an iPod and your on your way to awesome sound.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 9
The ALO Panda Speakers do look nice. How do they sound compared to the A5's? Also, I see them paired up with the MiniWatt N3 amp, but that puts it over my budget. Any recommendations on amps from trends or kingrex? Thanks.

Oh, and what about the Wharfedale Diamond 9.0? They're about in the same price range as the Pandas. How do they compare?

Thanks

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Yes, the Wharfedale Diamond is a great speaker, but you're not going to get the best sound with a $100 toy-size power amp. I often use a Hafler DH-220 MOS-FET power amp with small speakers and the difference is clear.

Nov 7, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 9
Oh ok I see. Well I'll take a look at the Panda speakers and see if maybe I could test them out some where. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to share
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 9
focal cms 40
dt880smile.png
but at ard 500 pounds a pair though. went tru alot of 2.0 speaker decision and testing and finally settled down on these

Users who are viewing this thread

Back