Audio System for around £300
Dec 11, 2012 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RichSutherland

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm not an audiophile but I do love my music. I'm looking to get a new sound system and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for around the £300 mark?

I would like to be able to connect it to my computer (mostly) and my Blu-Ray player (sometimes). 

I was looking at the Logitech Z-906 but whilst it does have a lot of great reviews, I'm disappointed that most people say they are not as good as the older Z-5500's - would you say that is the case? 

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks,
Rich

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 6
For music the worst thing one could do is compromise to poorly built and cheap/muddy sounding PC/multimedia fare
deadhorse.gif

Stick to 2.0/2.1 for music and assuming u in the UK i'd consider used stuff off Gumtree UK? Perhaps something like a Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 paired with a nice stereo amp? If you are thinking room to expand to a surround set up for Blu Ray then hit a HDMI AVR (Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD capable)

Lastly hit AVS forums and i am sure there are peeps in the UK who could better advise you on the best deals where u at ^^
http://www.avsforum.com/f/88/audio

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 6
trog makes a good point. For music listening and music listening alone, you're better served with stereo playback (optionally adding a sub if that tickles your fancy).

What audio playback device do you have on your computer? Onboard audio chip, internal soundcard, external DAC/pro audio interface/DJ interface?

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys, I've spent the day going from one thing to another and it seems the worst thing I could do is go for the Z-906 for music. 

I've been looking at Denon AV Receiver's and Yamaha amps, such as the AS500 but I'm still incredibly confused as to what to go for and if I go for an amp or receiver which speakers to go for. I have decided I can increase my budget to £4-500 if that will get me something really good.

Currently I'm using this computer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gaming-Computer-i7-2700k-8GB-DDR3-1G-GTX-650Ti-500GB-WIFI-Asus-PC-Windows-7-HP64-/130805496360?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item1e749d7a28

It has no particular details on sound other than to say "High quality surround sound audio supported" so I'm guessing integrated?

I currently have it hooked up to a Sony MHC-EC99I Hi-Fi which gives good sound but I want something even better because I spend so much time listening to music.

I hope this gives a clearer picture. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Looking at your PC specs if u are set for a surround/receiver route easiest way i'd go about doing it is to pass HDMI out of that GTX650Ti to a HDMI receiver
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back