Audio Switch - multiple outputs from the same source
Oct 28, 2007 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RollsDownWindowsManually

100+ Head-Fier
I'm tyring to figure out a way to get the single stereo Wolfsen DAC output from my chaintech av-710 to both my computer speakers and headphone amplifier without unplugging several wires every time. I think I might have found a decent solution?

mk2.jpg

http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html

Do you guys seen any way this would degrade the sound quality?

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 12
well since I can't tell the difference between -v2--vbr-new and lossless I doubt I will notice this either.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 12
I was going to get one of those. It costs too much for me though after shipping.

I am settling for:
Soundcard (Prolly Chaintech AV-107) -> 2 way spliter block -> Speakers and 2 way splitter extension cable -> Livewires (when i get them) / Music headphones (Probably Grado SR60?)

When using headphone/earphones i will switch off speakers at the sub, so they dont draw power, and when using speakers i will simply unplug the headphones & earphones at the extension splitter cable next to me.

The headphones and earphones will be on a stand, and i just unplug the phones i am not using from the extension cable splitter, and plug in the pair i want to use, whilst turning off my speakers.

My speakers will always be plugged in to the 2 way splitter block coming from my soundcard.

OR

My screen (to be) will have a headphone jack, which i could connect to the splitter block coming from my souncard, then plug headphones into the monitor, instead of having the Y splitter next to me, even though its a top quality screen (iiyama) would this degrade sound quality noticabley?

I would only have one plug rather than 2 free, but would make life easier at times, when using my speakers. i would be bypassing the extension splitter cable this way.

Which is best?

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 12
I am going to use a chaintech av710 as my source, paired up with a LittleDot MKIII amp, and 595s. I currently have Klipsch speakers plugged into my sound card's line-out jack (the one next to the SPDIF jack).

Will I be able to plug my amp in it without having to unplug/re-plug my speakers/amp everytime i want to switch?

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 12
Yes because you would have:

Soundcard -> LDMIII -> 595's / Klipsch

You would have to as you have 2 outputs, and very few soundcards support multiple outputs, which can be changed in the control panel.

Your best bet would be to see if your Chaintech supports the connectivity of front panel case jacks, if your case has them.

I gave up on it and was going to just buy a splitter and unplug head/earphones when using speakers so they dont draw power, but i just found a soundcard, and then realised it supported my front case jacks, so an added bonus!

I will have:

Soundcard -> Speakers

And Soundcard -> Front case jacks (2) -> Headphones/Earphones (when i get my new pairs)

When i plug anything into the front case jacks it will mute my rear output (in my case, speakers)

Or you buy something else (Grrr damn Hobby!) eg. a switch box / a cable that mutes one source when you plug in headphones.

Hope i could help, as i was in the same boat as you!

-= Matt =-

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 12
Yes that helps a lot, thanks. I guess it's going to be a hassle until I get the Bereshford TC7510. I assume then I will be able to output to both the speakers and the DAC since I will be using optical out for the DAC?

Would plugging the amp directly in the speakers' headphone jack make sense at all? I would use an RCA adapter. I don't think that would yield the best SQ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 12
SC -> Speakers -> headphone jack -> Amp -> Headphones.

Yes it would work, im not sure, i doubt i could tell the difference between:

SndCard -> headphones and,

sndcard -> spkrs -> headphones,

but im not an audiphile at all. Hence not hearing an audible difference between a 320k mp3 and a 96 lol.

I just tailor how i like my music to sound with headphones that have the EQ i want
biggrin.gif

i was thinking about doing that, but just to be safe, i gave up with that when i found out that the soundcard i was just about to buy supported my case jacks! Added bonus!

-= Matt =-

Oct 30, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 12
i'll try it out and see if it works well
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd rather not do it but for simplicity's sake, for now, it'd be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back