Audio stuttering over USB - Windows 8.1/Fiio E17
Sep 29, 2014 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

daflippymaster

Head-Fier
Hey all

I'm currently using a Fiio E17 as my usb DAC/Amp for my desktop and every once in a while the audio over usb will stutter (no matter the source, foobar, chrome, vlc, etc.)

However it usually fixed by a restart, but this time it seems the problem is here to stay.

The audio out of the front headphone jack works fine, so it seems the problem is definitely over usb. I've tried installing the driver on the fiio website for it but that had no effect.

Any idea on where to troubleshoot from here?

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 8
Try different USB ports; could be getting inconsistent power from them; if you have a nice powered USB hub; may help.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 8
If cheap hub solves the problem you've probably narrowed it down to shoddy USB power.  I'd probably invest then in a good USB hub;  or Schiit USB Decrapifier if you want pretty/already have a Stack.  

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 8
Should *just* clean up any power fluctuations I believe.  Overpriced for what it is; but if I was already running a Modi/Magni stack and had USB power problems I'd probably get one for aesthetic reasons.  Any good USB hub should do similar.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 8
A couple of comments:
1. Wyrd not only filters power, but also re-clocks the data.
2. The stuttering is often caused by other processes that take over the system bus for too long and the audio runs out of data to play. Increasing buffer size in player sometimes helps. If not, search for latency monitor - it's a free app that shows you all the concurrent processes. With that knowledge you can nail the offender. Or take the easy path and download Fidelizer - also free. This app reconfigures your processes so that audio gets more priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back