Audio streaming vs. audio CDs?
Oct 10, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #17 of 24
Do you have a reason you want to go computer-less? The simplest solution is a cheap Windows-tablet (less than $200) and a Tidal subscription, fed to a USB DAC

Go computerless? Not completely, still need to rip stuff. But at least I OWN what I pay for, not just renting from the 'cloud'.

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #18 of 24
I was wondering about getting a streamer, i now run imac-usb With tidal exclusivemode to my dac/amp. How much difference is there if i get an streamer instead ?

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #19 of 24
I was wondering about getting a streamer, i now run imac-usb With tidal exclusivemode to my dac/amp. How much difference is there if i get an streamer instead ?

F%&K streaming. Until streaming can consistently support at least 16bit/44.1 audio, and at least ATSC video, physical media(CD, SACD, DVD and Blu Ray) is your friend. Streaming is good for when you are away from home. And if I'm on vacation, keeping up with NetFlix original material is the least of my priorities. I'm on vacation to get away from all that! lol

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #20 of 24
I truly don’t have a lot of experience with streaming audio. I had a very short lived subscription to Tidal hifi; two months. I didn’t care for it. It didn’t happen terribly often but I didn’t appreciate bliss interrupted by buffering. I’m fairly ignorant regarding what a streamer actually is. It’s probably not a purchase I’d ever make but if anyone wants to enlighten me that would be cool. I listen to flac files via usb to my used XDA-1 for background. My CDP beats that by a head. I can’t articulate why, except it just sounds better to me. Physical media takes up a whole lot of room, requires care in handling and use as does the equipment but to me it’s worth it. There’s not a single album in my collection I want to go without. I’d endorse a collection of physical media whether it be your audio, video or literature over it’s strictly digital variant every time.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #22 of 24
I’d say that largely depends on how you view “audiophile” level music quality; like whether you have to have lossless music files or not

Personally, I find 256 AAC to be audibly transparent, and I’m also definitely too lazy to repeatedly migrate my music collection, so Apple music works great. Really depends on you tho

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #23 of 24
Well I’m all for external music servers like antipodes running roon core, best thing I have done. Course 1) got to have big budget and 2) you admit you can’t diy and want proprietary tech.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #24 of 24
Streaming is good on the road. But at home, I'd rather have the physical media. That way, I control the quality of what I hear: No remastered versions, etc. I can rip waves, mp3s, or FLACs off of them into my devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back